This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Gas System Equipment

 I delivered to the boat two items for the repair of the boat's LPG gas system:

 

1. A Peel brand  LPG/Propane Detector, Dual Sensor with Solenoid from Whitworths Marine in Mosman Park ($439.95)

2. Two  LCC27 gas hoses from All Controls, Belmont to connect the boat's LPG gas cylinders to the cylinder selector valve ($110.77)

Dominic the gas man confirmed that the new gas detector will be able to control the existing solenoid gas valve in the boat's lazarette, which will eliminate the necessity of swapping in the new solenoid, and at my request following Dominic's advice the LCC27 hoses come with adapters for connection to the boat's cylinder selector valve.

 While I was on the boat I checked out the boat's safety situation: 

 1. Five life jackets, 3 modern gas-inflated and two old fashioned (but legal) non-inflated types,

2. Two packs of flares that look as though look brand new, each with:

         * 2 x parachute red rocket night flares, expiry 01/2025

         * 2 x hand orange smoke day flares, expiry 09/2019

3. Three fire extinguishers, all powder type:

         * 1.kg with pressure dial on "Green", no expiry date

         *  1.kg with pressure dial on "Green", expiry Nov 2024

         *  2.3kg with pressure dial on "Green", no expiry date

The hefty 2.3kg fire extinguisher claims maximum coverage of  3m in  windless conditions.

  I'll purchase a fresh pack of flares to ensure that I am legal, but I will keep the existing flares because I know from experience all out-of-date flares that I have tested before discarding - including flares from my second boat Angie that looked like something out of WWII - have all worked.

  Whether I'll have time to install the new gas detector and hoses before a planned day sail on 6-8 Oct is doubtful, but I'll give it a go.

  

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me