This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Farewells


Sailing departures can be awkward if you don't leave when you said that you would.

Last Friday night I had a few drinks with several friends. In the photo are Gordon and his wife Alysha, who own the cabin cruiser next to Pachuca. In the background is Mike Rush who would be a perfect cast for the next swashbuckling movie (Pirates of the Pacific?)

Gordon and Alysha were extremely generous and gave me two bottles of Chevas Regal. Two days later I told Alysha that I was still here and did they want their Chevas back. She said No, but maybe I should have another farewell party to get more goodies.

Bill, bless his heart, gave me a Hawaiian lei and a stack of Time magazines. I think that the tradition is to cast the lei into the sea as I sail from the island.

The plan now is to tell people that I'm leaving soon and I'll leave with minimal fanfare.

At the moment it looks like I will depart on Saturday morning. The stationary low north of Hawaii was supposed to give us light winds for the next week. I have seen today a steady 15-kt SW breeze that would have catapulted my well beyond the islands with no problem. I told Carey today that before GRIB files I would have motored and started sailing oblivious of what the meteorologists think might happen. If I hang around and wait for "the perfect norm" I could be here until August.

Anyway, unless there is some unexpected situation I will motor out on Saturday and start sailing.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me