This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Progress Notes


Progress during this week's visit:

1. Installed a new s/s cleat on the outside of each coaming. As you can see from the photo, previously I had to rely on the gray jam cleat to hold tension on the blue running back stay. This seemed a bit iffy to me. I would rather rely on a proper cleat. This was more urgent on the starboard side because in addition to the running back stay line there is the roller furler rewind line. If we had the jib rolled up in heavy weather and the winding line were to jump out of the jam cleat the jib would quickly unroll and we would be in deep doo doo trying to get the flogging sail under control. I've included a photo of the heavy duty jarrah plate backing one of the cleats.

2. I picked up the two new jack lines (one on each side) and three life lines on Friday. The life lines enable one to clip on while still in the cockpit and have a access to the deck all of the way to the pulpit. This is made up of the standard purpose-made webbing and clips. The jack lines in this case are shackled fore and aft to the toe rail with Ronstan s/s shackles. However, I've two 1.5m lengths of spectra line on board so that I can get the jack lines nice and tight using the spectra to connect the rear webbing loop to the rear shackle.

3. I secured the book case with four bolts through its base. I have also set up a piece of shock cord with a plastic hook on the end so that we can keep the books from falling out in rough weather. Normally the cord will be out of the way.

4. Brenda and I did our "2-day" seniors 1st aid course, which was actually 10 hours of solitary pre-work and one day of live instruction. I got one question wrong. Brenda got no questions wrong. To add salt to the wound Brenda noticed me going back over some of my answers so she decided to do the same. I reviewed a doubtful answer on head injuries and decided to leave it alone. Brenda had doubts about the same question and she changed hers. Grrrr!

During next week's visit I will visit Maritime Electronics do discuss the possibility of putting a strobe light at the top of the mast to use when hove to or in low-visibility weather. They can also do a lightning rod which may not do any good but hopefully won't do any harm. Also, I'll ask them to change the bearings on the anemometer. ... All of this while the mast is down.

Also, my physical is on Tuesday. I'll discuss with Dr. Broun the cruising issues of innoculations, medical kits, etc. It's likely that he will point me to a travel doctor in Fremantle. (I've gone into training for this physical: since 12 April I have lost 5.5 kg (12 lb) in weight and 6 cm (2.4 in.) from my waist.)

Robert

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your photos look good, and your plan looks very good.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me