This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, December 22, 2007

New Wind Generator




Yesterday we assembled, mounted, and partially wired up the Rutland 913 wind generator. The regulator is on the road from Melbourne and it may be in tomorrow. The replacement of the existing regulator with the new one, which will manage both the solar panels and the wind generator, should not take more than an hour or two, given that all of the cabling is now in place.

This morning I worked on a leaky window over the galley. There were 34 screws to remove, then gentle prying of the plexiglass, then scraping off of the old material. The boat shop did not have clear silicone glass sealant in stock so I'll finish the job on my next visit.

Also, I finally got the 50-lb anchor from Harley Swarbrick. He originally said that he would have the anchor ready in 3 weeks. But with health troubles and unexpected vacation of his work shop the job took about 8 months. I never gave up on him and the wait was well worth it, not just because I agree with Harley that it is the best anchor in the world, but also because it will be one of the last - if not the last - anchors produced by this living legend of Australian boating. After much rumination I decided to place the new 50-lb anchor at the anchor well and move the 35-lb Swarbrick from the anchor well to the rear as a backup anchor. So my working anchors will be a 45-lb Manson plow anchor when I can get away with it (i.e. sand or mud bottom, good weather), and the 50-lb Swarbrick for unknown holding ground or rough weather.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me