This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

New Addition to the Foredeck

Raft Off Center to Accommodate Vent
Today has been an exceptional day of great timing.

I had just poured 2 Oz of accelerant into the cup when Bob showed up just in the nick of time before I added the 6 Oz of Imron paint.  This gave us time for a leisurely talk without having to worry about the paint mixture hardening.

I was then almost finished with laying down the 8 Oz of paint when Sergio the welder and his partner Alejandro showed up with the finished stainless steel frame to fit over the life raft.  I had expected having the finished product delivered with the fitting left to me but I was pleasantly surprised when Alejandro told me that they were going to install the frame. 
Clever Latch Design

I went down to finish the last of the paint and soon heard more voices.  I popped my head out and there was Reggie the carpenter, speaking with Alejandro. Reggie turned to me and told me that he supposed that I would want a teak top on the frame and my response was "Reggie, you've just saved me a telephone call."  I supplied Reggie with a tape measure, paper and pen, and he proceeded to take measurements.

Open Position for Manual Raft Deployment
I expected to see thru-bolts come through the top of the cabin for the fixing of the frame, but they used screws and 3M 5200 bedding compound.  Reggie told me that once the 5200 sets it will not give: the top of the deck will give before the 5200 will.  I'm still a thru-bolt man at heart, but I figure that 3 screws per leg on 5200 compound will be strong enough.

The top of the frame can be lifted back for manual launching of the life raft.  The self launching capability can no longer be relied on even if I were to flip back the lid ahead of time, but to be honest, I didn't like my chances of reaching the raft after it popped up from the sunken boat in any wind stronger than 15 knots.

The new frame will provide the following good things:
Alejandro at Left, Sergio, Reggie at Right

1. I'll now be able to stand on a large and strong platform in order to reach the main halyard and sail cover at the mast.  Until now I've had to perch on two corners of the life raft knowing that one slip and I'd put a hole through the thin fiberglass housing.

2. It will provide a great seat for two people to enjoy a nice drink or two or three while lying at anchor.

3. It will provide more security to the life raft.  I've read many instances of life rafts being washed overboard along with everything else on deck during heavy weather.  This frame should hold the raft in nicely.

The cost of the frame was $664 USD which I consider good value, given that it included the design, fitting, and superb workmanship.

Reggie will return in a day or two with the teak planking for the top.  The planks will be thick with radius-ed edges and gaps between them of 3/16" for water drainage.

1 comment:

chris said...

Wonderful news!!! updates are great!!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me