This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 96 - Gas Cylinder Change

It was not a night for fast sailing. The wind was from the NNE in the low 20's and I didn't want to drive too hard against the rough sea, particularly in the pitch black night. We were now far enough away from the high latitudes to have normal nights.

In the morning the sky was clear, the sun was out, and the wind had backed. I rolled out more sail and at last we were making a modest amount of northing and a not-too-great but acceptable 3.3 knots.

I went to the head to pump out the first daily jug of water from the port tank and found the hand pump so stiff that I almost gave up the effort. I used a lot of olive oil to lubricate the plunger shaft and hopefully the pump will free up over time. The alternative is to switch on the water pressure pump, fill up the jug at the galley, then immediately switch off the pump again.

The wind stayed stronger than predicted and we sailed on a beam reach well into the afternoon. The sail and rigging seemed happy enough so I let the boat move at over 4 knots in an effort to make up for the recent slow going.

Before the noon report (which is a 3 PM local time) I decided to take advantage of the dry and not too rough conditions to remove the empty LPG gas cylinder from the lazarette and install the spare which I had been carrying from La Paz on the stern rail. I connected the cylinder up then brought it on line. As I was securing the cylinder with rope and shock cord my elbow hit the valve knob and gas came out. The gas was passing through the valve stem but when I turned the valve knob hard to the open position the leaking seemed to stop. I went back with a paint brush and soapy water and after trying very hard I did not see any gas bubbling out from either the cylinder valve or the hose connection. Like too many other things in this boat I'll have to wait and hope. Lack of gas would not be a show stopper but would certainly remove a lot of the comfort and pleasure of this cruise. I road tested the work by having my second hot drink of the day, a tall hot chocolate.

At noon our position was 48S23, 049W13, giving us a n-n distance of 67 miles in the direction 080T. The chart plotter was performing beautifully.

Late in the afternoon the wind died to 10 knots leaving us making 2.3 knots.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

Chris said...

Wonder if it will be a slow trip to Cape Town the way the wind is rolling?????

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me