This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Enfermo

I'm still working my way through this cold  I haven't left the marina in 2 days and have been spending as much time  as possible in bed.  It has been a difficult time but I am starting to see signs that my chest and head are beginning to dry up, and just as well because I've been going through an entire role of paper towels per day.

This morning I decided that with so much at stake regarding my departure date I'd better take some antibiotics to make sure that I don't go down with a chest infection.  I visited Pachuca's pharmacy which had been so helpful to Brenda during her recent visit.  (She developed a dental abscess and put herself on a course of Augmentin Forte antibiotic which cleared up the problem.)

Augmentin is listed as being useful for chest infections but I chose instead a 5 day course of Rulide antibiotic.  I'll take the last dose on Sunday and will hopefully feel that bounce that I get a day or two after finishing a course of antibiotics.

As bad luck would have it the high tides during the coming weekend will be before dawn and after sunset, which would complicate my exit from the marina.  Monday is not practical because I want to avoid the complication of the Prefectura being closed on Sundays (and they give only 24 hours to depart.)  It looks like the earliest time of departure will be Tuesday 3 July, with high tide at 8.09 AM, allowing me to leave as late as 10 AM.  If I miss that date the tide will not be a problem because high tide is about 1 hour later each day. 

This must be coordinated with the weather, of course, but in the last 2 weeks I have yet to see a clear and sustained weather window.  We are affected by the northern side of a low pressure every few days, giving good starting winds, but there seems to be a perpetual High off the south coast of Brazil, meaning that I will be dealing with headwinds whenever I depart.  So unless there are definite storm conditions on the way I'll set off and play the winds as I go.



1 comment:

Chris said...

5 days to go...hope your cold clears before then to help you out.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me