This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Internet Blues

In preparation for this cruise I put $50 into my Telstra wireless internet dongle, which gives me internet access whenever I am in range of a Telstra cell phone tower. The $50 would give me 3 Gb of data, which seemed ample for 3 weeks of email management, reading of newspapers, and getting weather reports.

On the 3rd day of the cruise the internet service stopped. Stephen was able to check my account and told me that we had used a whopping 2.9 Gb of data in one day. I spoke with Telstra support who concluded that the data had been mysteriously consumed because I had left the dongle connected for hours when not using the system. I was in no position to defend this and was forced to accept the advice, pending a personal visit to a Telstra office to get more information.

Brenda then put another $30 into the dongle and were were very, very careful to disconnect immediately after finishing our internet work. The dongle ran out of money on the 3rd day. Telstra confirmed that in that morning's 42 minute session in which we had done email work and I had read two newspaper articles we had consumed 515 Mb of data. Telstra could not give me information on what IP numbers were involved in this huge amount of data consumption.

That night I thought of the Avast! antivirus software and sure enough during that 42 minute session Avast! had upgraded its dictionary with a 165 Mb download. This means that in future I will have to shut down antivirus protection when using the dongle, but that 165 Mb does not explain everything. I have done full systems scans with up to date Avast! and Malawarebytes and there appear to be no infections in the computer.

The result is that there will be no more internet from Pachuca for the rest of this cruise. I am writing these blog updates “off line” as word documents and will upload them and associated photos after our return to Fremantle.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me