This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Boat Work Begins

After neglecting Pachuca for over two months that she's been on the hard stand I am finally able to turn my attention to her.  I expect to work on her for about 7 days and have her back in her pen at the end of this month. 

Yesterday morning I packed the car with all of the tools that I thought might useful for the maintenance and drove to Brenda's house for the duration of the boat work.  Brenda's house is a 5 minute drive from the Fremantle Sailing Club and provides an ideal base of operations.  And I must say that I enjoy the company of Brenda, Stephen, and Shelley the Dog. 

I arrived at the boat at about 1 PM today with the goal of removing the old marine stove.  I was able to accomplish this in about an hour and devoted the next few hours to thoroughly cleaning out the stove space then cleaning out the bilge.  With the stove removed I will be able to paint the recess for the first time, and I'll want to do a good job because it will be the only chance that I get.

The brand of the stove had always been a mystery to me because no documentation was provided when I purchased the boat.  However, the mystery was solved when I was able to read the plaque at the back which informed me that it was an SMEV Series 7000 made in Italy in December 1995.  It had been distributed by Camec Pty Ltd of Clayton, Victoria. 

I expect to see Paul Jr at 7.30 tomorrow morning.  He will help me lift the new stove up the steep ladder into Pachuca's cabin, then I'll give him a tour of the boat.  After that we'll discuss the fitting of the new stove.  Paul's skills are primarily in carpentry rather than metal work, but he might be able to suggest some solutions.
Before Removal

Badly Corroded Burners
Removed

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me