This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, February 6, 2015

Ready for Sea

After putting the steering wheel back on, which I had removed in order to do the gas supply work in the lazarette, I went through my pre-cruise check list.  Other than the short rides to and from the hardstand, the boat had not been out in the water since last year's Bunbury Cruise, so I could not take anything for granted.

I ticked off the following:

- Chart Plotter OK
- Radar OK
- AIS OK
- Trimble and Lowrance GPS's OK
- Autopilot OK
- Wind Speed Instrument OK
- Wind Direction Instrument OK
- Depth Sounder OK
- Engine levels OK (Topped up the coolant)
- Engine start and run (in gear, 1100 rpm to full temperature) OK
- VHF radio OK (Got radio check from station VN6DI)
- Navigation Laptop charge from boat's 12V OK
- USB Hub (which allows 2 GPS's to be connected to 1 laptop USB port) OK
- GPS antennas for laptop OK
- Marine Plotter and OpenCPN laptop navigation software OK
- Marine Stove OK
- Refrigerator OK
- Marine Head OK
- All winches clean, lubricated, and OK
- Diesel fuel tanks full and OK
- Water tanks full and OK

I'll check the HF radio during the cruise.  I will not be using the Pactor III modem.

I won't be certain about the headsail and mainsail until I deploy them, but they are both in excellent condition and I expect no problem from them or their lines.

Today I brought two items of equipment up to date.

My flares were years out of date so I purchased a standard pack of 2 orange smoke and 2 red parachute rocket flares at a cost of $110.

The 406 MHz EPIRB beacon that I had purchase in New Zealand seemingly a lifetime ago expires this very month, so for $309 I purchased an Australian made Safety Alert model SA1G EPIRB, which boasts a battery life of 10 years, GPS accuracy of 3 meters and a transmit time of at least 3 days. 

All major boat systems seem the be OK (I write while knocking hard on the wooden desktop!) and I declare the good ship Pachuca ready for sea.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me