This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Bad Hair Day

Bruce and I are now working off a task list of 33 items, which has been helpful in our scheduling preparatory work.

More work was done on bow roller modification.  Angle plates were welded at the bottom to facilitate the feeding of the chain when weighing anchor.  Lock down pins were fabricated and the fitting of the pins will be completed next week. 
Two of four pin holes have been drilled

No more of anchor chain jumping off roller
The first photo shows the plates that have been welded to the system to keep the chain on the roller and locked down by a pin.

The shaft seal was reinstalled.  The company was able to reface the seal so I was not forced to purchase a new one.  On Friday Bruce re fiberglassed the end of the stern tube and on Monday the seal job will be completed by clamping on the bellows (ie rubber boot).  The mechanic will also re align the propeller shaft which for some reason is out of position.

Contact was made with a gas fitter who will replace the boat's LPG gas lines probably in January.

Now that the transom fittings have been bolted on Bruce has arranged for the boat's stern lettering to be put on in the coming week. 

Bruce and I did a lot of painting during the week.  I spent a difficult 3 hours laying down a coat of enamel paint in the lazarette, which I liken to painting the inside of a coffin with the lid down.  After the cramped work I emerged with my hair covered in lumps of enamel paint, some large, and some small and difficult to see.  I spent the rest of the day looking like Albert Einstein on a bad day and resumed the painting the next day armed with a pair of underpants to protect my hair.  I didn't relish the prospect of being seen wearing a pair of underpants on my head and was fortunately saved by the bag of rags that we had purchased earlier in the week.  One of the rags was large enough to act as a suitable head scarf.

The situation appeared to be so hopeless that I considered shaving my hair.  Fortunately a Google search came up with olive oil as the solution.  On Friday night I cut off about 10 lumps of paint with scissors while watching TV then on Saturday morning I saturated my hair with olive oil to the point where for the next 4 hours I had to have a towel around my neck to manage the oil that was working its way down all around my head.  During these four hours worked at the garage as usual, then when I was ready for a shower I soaked a bit more olive oil into my hair and got to work with a comb. Sometimes I could slide the lumps down with the comb and sometimes I would have to work the lump between my thumb and index finger until it seemed to fall apart.  Twenty minutes later I could pass my comb and hair brush through my hair with no snags and the crisis was over.

Mark the mechanic spent several hours doing maintenance on the engine. The coolant hoses have been replaced with proper ones, the coolant has been replaced,  and the heater has been fitted.  The gear box oil was at the correct level and looked good.  He will return next week to finish his work after Bruce's fiberglass work has set.
Adjustable LED light at top right


I am enclosing a photo of the steerage area with its floor board at LED light at the upper right.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me