This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, December 30, 2019

Preparations for Sea Trial

During October I made more preparations for Pachuca's sea trial. 

I've got four head sails in my inventory.  The best sail is the newest one, supplied by North Sails in Argentina in April, 212.  However, it is a 9.3 oz cruising sail much too heavy for coastal cruising in this area.  Another is the laminated sail provided by Tasker in 2008.   Its stitching had failed on the way to Cape Horn, was repaired by Pato Salas in Argentina, then this spring Steve Hartley assessed the sail, did more remedial work, and declared it fit for use.  Steve also declared the boat's original genoa that I had blown out when crossing the Australian Bight in 2008 to be salvageable and did much remedial work on it, including the expensive step of replacing its worn out UV protection along the leech and foot.  The other original head sail, while salvageable, was not repaired and put aside because it is of lighter cloth and not required.  The repairing those two sails obviated the need to order a new jib, not only saving me money, but also avoiding the pain of disposing of old friends that have served me well.

I elected to put up the original heavy jib rather than the laminated sail, which I decided to hold back for long distance cruising, be it by me or a future owner.  During our subsequent sea trial in mid-December I saw a familiar slit under a section that had been patched by Steve and realized that this was the sail that took me around Cape Horn after the massive stitching failure of the laminated sail only about two weeks out of Mexico.

I noticed that the starboard spinnaker pen line was almost worn through due to constant rubbing by a stanchion that was directly in line between the post and the deck cleat.  Kim Jamieson's solution was to produce a longer springer that reaches another deck cleat about a meter closer to the bow, thus avoiding the stanchion.

I purchased a new jib halyard.  The existing halyard over a meter too short, necessitating the need for a "messenger" line every time I dropped the jib.  The riggers had extended the jib during Pachuca's recent refit but, alas, the extension was too short.

Calculation of the length of the new jib halyard had to be accurate, and on the internet I found the equation L=(2.1xI)+Y+1, where I = (distance along the front of the mast from the highest halyard to the deck), Y = (distance from mast to halyard winch), and the constant 1 is "to be sure" fudge factor.  Using Pachuca's values of I=14.9m  and Y = 3.4m yielded a halyard length of 36m.  I confirmed that result with my own calculations and found it to be extremely accurate.

I also replaced the roller furler line purchased in Brazil which was wonderful to handle because of its thickness but filled up the drum too fast, preventing full extension  of the genoa. The new line is 3m longer at 30m total length, with diameter reduced to 8mm.

I put up the mainsail without a problem over two days working as patiently and methodically as possible.  On the third day I faced raising the genoa, which I knew would be difficult working alone.  I had just fed the tip of the luff cord into the track and was about to start pulling the halyard with one hand and feeding the sail with the other when I got an unexpected visit from my neighbor of two pens up the jetty.  He introduced himself and wanted to meet him because he knew that I placed him in the club's Cruising google group.  We chatted for a while before I asked to be excused so that I could complete my work before the afternoon sea breeze came up and he asked what I was doing.  He then asked if he could help.  Of course I said Yes and we then spent a difficult 30 minutes feeding the sail up the track, immeasurably helped by his suggestion that we try spraying silicone lubricant on the luff and track which I happened to have on board.  I thanked him profusely for his help, marveling at how he had appeared out of nowhere at exactly the right time.  (I've learned to accept these recurring experiences of serendipity at face value with no need for an explanation, but with much gratitude knowing that they are not random.)
  

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me