This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Winches Serviced

Until last year I had been servicing Pachuca's winches with Lanox lanolin grease but last year I accepted with some reluctance "Lanotec" grease, after being assured that it was the same as Lanox. In fact I have not been able to Lanox anywhwere. I opened the Lanotec and saw immidiately that it had a much lower viscosity than Lanox but I nevertheless decided to give it a go. That turned out to be a bit mistake because as soon as the weather became hot the Lanotec grease began to seep out of the winches as though it was oil. This year I wanted to avoid the standard winch greases because you get very little for a lot of money, and I like to grease not just the wearing surfaces but any internal surfaces prone to corrosion. This year I settled on "Nulon L80 Lithium Grease with PTFE", which ticks all of the boxes for marine use. If this grease works out well I will not expect to have to service the winches for at least 3 years, given the light sailing that I've been doing.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me