This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hard Stand

Today was the sixth day on the hard stand. Conceptually the tasks were simple: fit the nose plate, anti foul, new anodes, the splash, back in the water in four days tops.

It never works out that way.

We did some excellent work in tracking down a major leak between the anchor well and the v-berth area via the access door that I fitted months ago. I spent a few hours removing the door the fitting it back with lots of Sikaflex sealer. Alas, that was not enough because the door seal itself is not water tight. I've got the dimensions of a wooden barrier that I will fabricate and fit to prevent any water movement from the upper anchor well to the acess door.

I also resealed the joints between the chain plates and the deck. The old Sikaflex had become chalky and ineffective. That should stop another leak into the cabin area. I'm not sure how many more sources of leak remain but I am determined to track them down one by one. (The Mossad of leaks!)

I did some useful work with the anchor rodes. All chains are now painted such that we should be able to tell very easily how much chain has been paid out to the nearest 5 meters. (5 consecutive black links represents 10 meters, so 5 black links, 2 unpainted links, followed by 5 more black links represents 20 meters. 3 consecutive black links represents and intermediate 5 meters.)
The 80 meters of white rope is similary marked. (One black ring represents 10 meters, 2 black rings represents 20 meters ... get it?)

This marking of anchor rode is serious business because it is important that the ratio of rode to depth is correct. When I guess I err on the side of caution an pay out much more rode than I need to.

The last job is to polish the boat hull. I started today with a really dangerous setup where I had to stand on a section of RSJ on top of scaffold and arch my back and try to apply pressure with the electric buffer. Gary Martin, the painter, rescued me. He's loaned me a higher tressle on wheels and showed me how to alter it to be able to reach the difficult spots.

If things go well the boat will be in the water tomorrow afternoon.

Pachuca will essentially be ready to sail. There are a few loose ends. I would like to service the diesel engine and I hope that the parachute sea anchor is waiting for me in Darlington.

By the way, I put on three coats of antifouling. (4 cans @ $185 per can).

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me