This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Steering Pedestal




While having a cup of coffee on the veranda a couple of weekends ago I presented a schematic of Pachuca's steering pedestal that I had recently rediscovered and we discussed my anxiety about the unknown state of maintenance of the unit, the loose pinion leading to a loose wheel, and the grinding feel whenever I turned the wheel. We went to Fremantle and removed the entire unit in less than three hours.

Last Tuesday I presented it to Peter DeGroot of DeGroot Engineering and he partially disassembled it on the spot. The unit was in better condition that I had feared: no broken gears in the quadrant or pinion, and bearings felt OK, though not under load. However, the grease had turned to little more than powder. I asked Peter to replace every bearing (about 4) and in general refurbish the unit.

It looks like the pedestal would have taken us around the world after all but it would have been a worry throughout the entire journey. Now I'll know what is in there, how it works, and that it is fully restored and lubricated.

Peter has promised delivery of the pedestal "by Wednesday". On the strength of that Reg and I plan to go to Freo on Wednesday and reinstall the unit, and I have scheduled a boat lift into the water on Thursday.

Attached are photos:
- the opening through the cockpit sole after removal of the pedestal
- me cleaning what I think is crystallised Sikoflex from the base of the unit
- the unit on the bench

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me