This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, August 25, 2008

Small World

During our visit to Russell Radio (see August 24 blog entry) I learned from Stuart, the station manager, that he knew not only where Kingston, Washington is located on the planet, but where Point No Point is located.

Point No Point is located at the end of Hansville Road in Kitsap Peninsula, about 5 miles from my home in Kingston. On the Point is an abandoned complex (Ford's Landing?) that has a nice beach, a boat lift, a large fish-packing area, a large restaurant that overlooks the water, several workshops, and several cabins. I often ride my Suzuki to the facility to enjoy the beach and a coffee in the local general store, but I knew nothing of its history and often wondered why the owner closed the facility, located in such a prime location, instead of developing it in some way. Stuart knew because he worked there twenty years ago and was known as the crazy New Zealander who wore shorts during winters, even in snow.

Stuart's explanation was simple – the owner was an alcoholic that let the place deteriorate and was incapable of even selling it. Stuart lost his job when the facility closed.

So, half way around the world I met a bloke who knew more about some of my part of the world than I did. Like many others, I'm starting to think of Planet Earth as one big neighborhood – I think sailing does that to people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob, Brenda and Arnold,

I was talking to Neil on Sunday and he mentioned NZ so I got on to look tonight.

As you know, Bob, I'm refitting TIGA, with the new engine in but cabinet work and the rig yet to be finished. I enjoyed reading the sailing from Eden but most of all value the insights into things that go right and things that go wrong. I haven't been reading much about serious offshore sailing for a few years so your thorough discussion is much appreciated.

Seattle from Christmas, I think I'll be there in October or November, out of Vancouver but also visiting Olympia. Close call!

Take care and good sailing north.

Cheers, Jim

Robert Morales said...

Many thanks for those thoughts, Jim. It is very pleasing that a person of with your cruising experience finds our story interesting.

Best wishes with your preparation of Tiga for your next adventure.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me