This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Communications Work and Wind Vane





I enlarged the opening to accommodate the larger Icom HF radio, and bolted the mounting bracket onto the shelf. The radio will be able to survive a roll over (heaven forbid!) without budging.

After some thought and experimentation I came up with a simple and elegant solution of how to mount the automatic tuner in the lazarette. There was no need for bits of wood, epoxy, or screwing into the hull. I have strapped the tuner the wedge-shaped piece of wood that holds the backstay chainplate. It is out of the way, above water that might accumulate at the floor of the lazarette, and firmly fixed with four bolts.

Then the Pactor IIusb modem arrived and Ron handed it to me yesterday morning. I decided to mount it below the HF radio, on a new shelf suspended from the HF radio shelf above with the same bolts used to fix the HF radio bracket. I cut the hole with the electric jig saw that Wally loaned me.

At this point all preliminary work has been done but the installation of the HF radio, tuner, and modem cannot be completed until the wind vane has been installed, speaking of which ...

The Monitor wind vane was delivered to The Fuel Dock by FedEx early this afternoon as promised. Audry telephoned me and an hour later I went to pick it up. Carey loaned me the store's trolley and before I got to the jetty's gate there was Richard to help me get the box on board. He had seen me pushing the box from the store and figured that I could use a hand.

Tonight I'll read the installation instructions very carefully. Tomorrow morning I'll unpack the various bits and start planning the installation. Jeff in slip 850 has a Monitor and has offered to help me. Richard has offered to help, but he is planning to sail out on Sunday and I don't want to take up his time in these final days of preparation. Dieter would have helped too but he is also leaving this weekend.

My God, they're all leaving: The Princess Tai Ping last month, Jimmy last week, John and his dog Taco left for California yesterday morning, Richard and Dieter will leave this weekend. But not all is lost. Richard and I will sail to the Pacific Northwest in loose company in May and we will keep in daily touch by radio. I hope to visit Dieter at his home near Vancouver. And you never know, I might even get a chance to see John when I pass through the San Francisco area.

The top photo shows the slots ready for the Icom radio and Pactor modem. The white piece of ply will be the shelf for the modem.

The second photo shows the bracket for the Icom radio bolted in place.

The third photo shows the Icom automatic tuner bolted in place.

And last but not least are John and Taco about to leave for the airport in Joel's car.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Lucky I did some reading and knew Taco was a dog because at first glance I thought I saw a ginger cat!!!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me