This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Weather Fax via Airmail



The "Airmail" software of SailMail provides a pretty good window into weather faxes.

In my previous setup I had to remove the external power from my laptop to give me a reasonable chance of getting a clear weather fax because external power seemed to generate noise. That was OK as long as my battery time supported it, but for a while I was getting only 10 minutes of battery time on my laptop. (Then it went into remission and now I'm getting 1.5 hours) The weather fax input is now via a cable between the pactor modem and a USB port on the laptop, not the microphone input jack.

A weather fax viewer is provided. It allows me to zoom and pan for better examination of areas of interest. The photos at the side demonstrate this.

The top photo shows the fax covering a wide swath of the N Pacific ocean from 120W to 170W. Seattle is at the right just below the "L". Hawaii is at the bottom just to the left of the "L".

In the middle photo I've zoomed to the Hawaii area for a better look. At the bottom I've zoomed to the Seattle area.

Very handy.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Very handy...lucky you have done lots of upgrading!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me