This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Port Townsend Boat Haven

I've been in the warm and comfortable internet cafe ("The Veela Cafe" on First Sreet) doing some research on Port Townsend.

Previously I had planned to ride at anchor and motor ashore to get the lay of the land and make the necessary arrangements for a slip. However, the directions at
http://www.portofpt.com/boat_haven.htm are clear enough for me to motor right up the reception jetty and make my arrangements.

I'll go there with some reluctance because I can sense more weeks of expensive and exhausting boat work ahead of me. Once I move into the slip the money clock will start at about $32 USD per day for the slip and the costs for the haul out and hard standing which are difficult to figure out because they seem to itemize things more than what I am accustomed to in Fremantle. But they do allow liveabords in the hardstand area (for a fee of $185 per month, of course).
See http://www.portofpt.com/shipyard_rates.htm for the charges.

But I cannot complain. The consistent word I get is that Port Townsend is the place to go for yacht work. A list of the trade skills is at http://www.portofpt.com/businesses_by_trade.htm
Let's see ... looking at the list I will need ... Engines Diesel, Marine Equipment & Supplies Retail and Used, Refrigeration, Rigging, Shafts Struts and Rudders. I'll do the thru-hull fittings for the galley salt water pump and the grounding plate for the radio myself. I will also do the routine antifouling and anode replacement work. I regard the engine as too important to risk with my inexperienced hands, so I will have it professionally checked out and fully maintained. The engine water temperature sender will also have to be replaced. I will probably have the rudder post checked out, particularly from the point of view of potential leaks. I'll probably replace the refrigerator. I may install a second (Raymarine) depth sounder. They are not too expensive and if the Navman on the boat were to fail I would be severely handicapped. And of course I'll have the cap shrouds and chain plates checked out. ... And who knows what else we'll find. Never mind. Every time I start to waver I think of that lonely sail down wind-swept Patagonia and rounding the Horn.

I motored ashore this morning in a slight drizzle. A city worker told me that the next two days will be rainy but the weekend would be beautiful. I do not relish the prospect of motoring the 35 miles or so to Port Townsend in the rain. In fact, I don't want to motor at all. I'll most likely stay in Port Angeles for a few more days and see how the wind is blowing in the weekend.

OOPS, LATE DEVELOPMENT. Soon after publishing this update I telephoned the boat yard and found out that there is one opening on Thursday, I think, and two on Saturday. After that I would have to wait another week. So I've booked the boat for lifting this Saturday at 10 AM. That means that I will transit to Port Townsend tomorrow or the next day. (Good thing I phoned, huh?)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me