This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, February 15, 2010

Formal Entry Completed



We began the day by visitng Jonathan at the marina office at 9 AM. We were going to pay for 2 nights' stay until he told us that there is a 3-day rate which would give us the third day for only $30. After some discusion we agreed to stay for three days.

Then Jonathan spent a full 30 minutes preparing us for the visit to the CIS to get our official permits, including producing photocopies that we would need and presenting us with a plan of the office with a step by step guide of which corner we should visit when.

We arrived at the CIS at 10 AM and jumped the bureacratic hoops the next 2 hours before we had all of the required permits. I must have presented my passport a half dozen times and made over a dozen signatures, as well as writing down the same information several times. Never mind, though. I am grateful that the government has set this one-stop shop (the first and only one in Mexico so far) that does away with the bad old days of running from one end of town to the other for a day or more. And the staff were very pleasant and professional. I now have a temporary import permit for Pachuca good for 10 years. The costs were moderate, which tells me that the Mexican government has not tried to turn this into a cash cow. The biggest cost was $658.34 which mercifully represented pesos and equated to about $50 USD. There were a couple of other items at about $200 pesos.

It was 1 PM when we were walking back and I decided to go into the town and find an ATM and some food to eat. I found an ATM at a bank and drew out $4000 pesos which was thoughtfully presented in 500, 200, 100, and 50 peso notes.

The I found a restaurant not too up market but above street vendor standard until I get a better feel of the culture. The lazy choice would have been to go to the familiar McDonald's, and a Japanese restaurant interested me. However, I would have considered eating non-Mexican food a travisty which I would have been ashamed to confess to the blog.

I was very pleased with my choice. It was a large, elegant and well patronized restaurant. There seemed to be waiters everywhere. I ordered a bottle of Sol beer then chose broiled fish done "Ranchero" style in the sort of piquante tomato based sauces that the Mexicans seem to love. I was presented with a gigantic heap of fresh nachos and dip to keep me busy while I waited for lunch. The lunch was a very generous serve of soft fish in the sauce, with side dishes of rice and tortillas. The meal filled me to the point where I was wondering how I would manage to walk back to the boat. The entire meal cost $120 pesos which translated to $9.70 USD, beer and all. As I walked out the waiter opened the door for me I gave him my thanks, glad that I had left him a $25 peso tip.

The climate is great, the food is bountiful with huge varieties of vegetables, fruit, and fish. Near Ensenada is the Guadalupe area that produces 90% of Mexico's wine. The people and the children look relaxed, happy and healthy

I think that I am going to enjoy this country Mexico.

I took the accompanying photos on the way back from the CIS. The first image is of Benito Juarez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Ju%C3%A1rez). The middle image is of Miguel Hidalgo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Hidalgo_y_Costilla) The image at the far right is of Venustiano Carranza (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Venustiano_Carranza, http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3404701149.html) whom from the distance I thought might be Leon Trotsky (Assasinated in Mexico in 1940 by an NKVD agent) .

1 comment:

Chris said...

Those statues look like they are made of gold!!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me