This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Back in the USA

I had fast and nearly flawless trip back to the U.S.A.

I got up early packed my bags, left 250 pesos on the kitchen sink with a "Thank You" note to Theresa, then walked to the new restaurant at the end of the block at 8.15 AM.  This put me 45 early for breakfast with my friends but when I travel I like to be early for everything.

Ken and Don spotted me at the table as they were returning to the apartment building to cool off after their morning walk and decided to cool off while they had coffee with me.  Soon Bob Carroll showed up and we all enjoyed a good breakfast breakfast. I had "juevos ranchero", fried eggs and ham on a large tortilla, smothered in sauce. Bob picked up the tab yet once again and it was just as well that I had visited for only 3 days.  Bob then helped me carry the bags to the bus station.  We were very early so spent 30 minutes talking and enjoying the scene at the malecon. Just before 11 AM we bade farewell to each other and I thanked Bob once again for the hard work that he had put in to make my arrival and stay in La Paz so easy and interesting.

Eco Baja Tours Airport Shuttle
It was a great ride from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo.  We travelled in a comfortable 7-passenger shuttle crossing the mountains along a winding section of highway that would be great on a motorcycle. Precisely at 2 PM I was dropped off in front of Terminal 2 of the airport.  The 3-hour ride had cost only 400 pesos, or about $33.  I had plenty of time because my flight was scheduled to depart at 4.45 PM.

The flight to Seattle was direct and took only 4 hours.  During the flight I placed my little Acer netbook on the tray, plugged in the 16 GB thumb drive, looked at my selection of 6 movies, and watched "Gran Torino" wearing headphones. 

At SeaTac airport I telephoned Arnold and 45 minutes later I was on the shuttle headed for Poulsbo.  The driver let me use his phone to call Arnold again while we were driving through Silverdale and soon after being dropped off at the Keyport "station" Arnold arrived in his Buick and off we went to Kingston.  The season had turned during my absence and the night sky was cloudy with occasional drizzle.

So ended my short but fantastically successful visit to La Paz.  It had all been as good as I had remembered it - the city, the marina, the climate, the food, and most of all the people.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Wow! you got back to the USA fast.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me