This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, October 22, 2012

Doings

During my visit to Vancouver Nigel and Patrick took me to a marine shop in their neighborhood so that I could purchase small scale paper charts (covering large areas) of the South Atlantic from South America to South Africa and the South Indian Ocean from South Africa to Western Australia.  The shop carried only only local charts which prompted me to scour the internet for the charts that I needed.  From nauticalchartsonline.com I ordered charts no. 22 and 70, which perfectly suit my requirements.  They are each priced at $27 plus $11 for 2-day delivery.  Wow, do I love the internet and the super efficient delivery systems in the USA!

Today I received a gracious message from Alaska Airlines apologizing for my difficulties on the trip to La Paz.  A refund check of $88 for my forced stay at the Los Arcos hotel in La Paz will arrive within 10 days. As a "gesture of our sincere apology for the inconvenience you were caused" the airline has sent a discount code worth $150 for the next year.  This did not surprise Arnold, who considers Alaska Airlines a class operation.

Just now I booked the nights of 7,8, and 9 November at the Hotel Mondo Novo hotel in Rio de Janeiro.  This is the hotel that I stayed in during my trip to the USA. It was a no frills hotel that delivered what it advertised, including good internet and reasonable breakfasts.  Better the Devil that You Know, as they say.  I'll land in Rio on the morning of the 7th and depart for Angra by bus on the morning of the 10th.  That will give me all of the 8th and 9th for touring the highlights of the city .

At Angra I'll probably splurge and take a cab for the 25 mile or so ride to Bracui.  I'd love to take a bus but there are three problems with that plan: (1) The buses are infrequent and I've been able to find no schedule. (2) The bus may well be full by the time it reaches the stop at the intercity bus station, (3) I want to spare myself the longish walk from the bus stop to the marina.

... Which has drawn my mind forward to Bracui.  The days of easy living in the warmth of family and friends, generous access to wonderful food and drink, and my flickering fame as a Cape Horner are drawing to a close; and I must steel myself to a period of obscurity with heavy dieting (I must lose at least 20 pounds!) and hard work getting myself and Pachuca ready for the next phase.  Such is Life.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Not long before you leave for Australia.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me