This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, April 19, 2013

Day 44, April 19 - 1000 Mile Mark

I deliberately stayed up to witness the crossing of the 1000 nautical mile mark to Fremantle. It happened at 1615 UTC yesterday, in the middle of the night. I cracked open the last bottle of brandy and had a short drink to mark the occasion. The last 1000 miles had been tough ones and I was very glad to have reached the beginning of the home stretch.

I did some calculations and came up with an ETA at Fremantle of between 29 April and 1 May, depending on assumptions of 80, 90, or 100 miles per day. This would put me outside of the marina and if I arrived late I would need one more day to make the entry. This was nicely within the ETA range of 27 April to 3 May that I had made from the half way mark on 2 April.

The morning was chilly but the sky was fairly clear and I enjoyed the best sunshine in seemingly weeks. The wind had lightened but the boat kept ambling along.

The noon numbers were good:

POS: 38S15, 98E31
NND: 116 nm
DMG: 3906 nm
DTG: 926 nm

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

Chris said...

What good news that you are very glad to have reached the beginning of the home stretch to Fremantle.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me