This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, May 13, 2013

Future of This Blog

Now I have to face the question of what happens to this blog of the circumnavigation of the world now that the circumnavigation is completed.  But first some history and background.

During the planning of the circumnavigation I expressed dread at the prospect of keeping my relatives and friends informed of my progress through email.  I envisioned repetitions of the same messages and long CC lists.  It was Stephen who suggested a blog, which to me was little more than a word that I had seen and heard.  He explained how blogs worked and I immediately saw it as the ideal vehicle for my requirements because  I would write things once and people could have a look whenever it suited them.  Stephen then helped me get started with Google's blogging facility.

It didn't take long for the blog to take a life of its own.  Because of my predilection for writing and the way my mind works I began to use it as a vehicle for personal documentation as well as communication with others.

In spite of limited success with reining in my garrulous and  sesquipedalian tendencies (There I go again.) interest in the blog began to spread beyond those who knew me personally to those who were simply interested.

A few months later the site meter was introduced and I was able to see the locations of visitors which to my amazement covered every continent, and many locations far from the ocean.  Rightly or wrongly, I felt a responsibility to these readers and tried my best to justify their interest.  But given the variety of interests, what aspect of the adventure to write about?   In the end all I could do was to write about things as I saw them.

As of this date the site meter (found by scrolling down to the bottom of the blog) reports that I have made 1866 postings over the last 5 years.  There have been 96,124 visits and 168, 074 page views.  If we include the 4,425 site visits that had been made before the site meter was installed the total number of visits to the blog is over 100,000.

The blog has been very rewarding to me, as a valuable personal history, an outlet for my inclination to write, and most of all whatever information and enjoyment the blog may have provided to others, particularly those far removed from the sea and boating.  I know that there were people who began their day by checking on the blog.

Writing the blog has become a major part of my routine of daily living and it will be difficult to wean myself from it, but there is no point in keeping it going artificially.  Having said that, it could be many months before the blog is finished because the aftermath of a circumnavigation is a relevant part of the story.  My suggestion is to take an occasional peek into the blog.

Many people have suggested that I produce a book and my typical response is that there is already a lot of sailing material out there and besides, it is all in the blog.  However, it is possible that one day I may do a massive editing job and reduce the blog material to book length which I would publish privately.  But if I do this it will have to be sooner rather than later because with the rapidly changing technology of boating much of my experience will become dated very quickly.

Finally, I give my thanks and appreciation to all of the people who have taken an interest in the blog.  I will be happy to answer any questions on the circumnavigation from anybody anywhere.   Questions can be sent to: pachucaman@gmail.com.

Best Wishes to All,

Robert Morales
Fremantle, Western Australia








4 comments:

Chris said...

Seems like Stephen is a very good blog helper. Good to see another one.

mark jochems said...

Robert I have totally enjoyed your blog, and it will truly leave a gap in my most visited site list. it has been my pleasure to offer what ever assistance I could on your "iron sail" I wish to offer you my best wishes for what ever adventure you choose. I will miss the blog, but will do as you suggest and check it occasionally. As far as Pachuca, Its a proven long range sailboat, and its never been in better shape. She stands ready for the next adventure.

Nigel said...

Robert I will miss very much my daily reading of your adventures. It has become as much a ritual for me too!

I hope that you continue to post updates as the mood strikes you. Thanks for providing such an interesting reading experience.

Nigel

Coral said...

I too have enjoyed reading the blog and keeping up with all the adventures - thank you! and I hope you do get around to writing the book, you have lots of interesting material plus some great photos.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me