This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Iceberg Images

Here are a photograph and video clip of the first iceberg that I encountered on the passage from Cape Town to Fremantle.  The iceberg is 9-10 miles away because I altered course to avoid it.  I projected my track to the E had I not altered course and I would have passed 0.7 nm to its north.   However, good radar fixes taken 5 hours apart indicated that the iceberg was drifting exactly to the NE at 0.4 kts, so a collision would have been possible if not likely.

Iceberg 9 miles away


1 comment:

Chris said...

Lucky you were able to avoid running into the iceberg or Pachuca wouldn't have liked it.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me