This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, February 14, 2014

Commemoration Plaque and Stanchion

Yesterday I mounted a plaque made by Trophy Choice in O'Connor.  It commemorates Pachuca's circumnavigation and rounding of the Horn, and I placed it in the "plaque" section of the bulkhead.  (You can enlarge the photo by right clicking over the photo the selecting "View Image".)
Pachuca's Latest Plaque

I also replace the stanchion bent in that knockover off the Brazilian coast.  I had two choices: a genuine one for $106 or an lighter imitation one at around $43, which Trevor of Yacht Grot did not recommend.  Trevor did not need to tell me that because I've learned the hard way that with boating only the best will do.  Trevor charged me only $90 for the stanchion, which I took to be a "Welcome Back" gift from Yacht Grot.
Bent Stanchion Next To Its Replacement

I managed to drill the required two holes into the base of the stanchion using my cordless drill because fortunately I had a good centre punch and sharp bits.  Soon I had the port rails back up nice and tight.

After this I dropped into Yacht Grot and purchased two fire extinguishers and a pack of flares. (On Monday I'll purchase a recreational fishing license, something new since my departure on the circumnavigation, but a modest $30 per year and allegedly going to a good cause.)

As of of yesterday (Friday) evening at least two boats had made it to Mandurah on their start for Bunbury.  More boats will leave this weekend and several others, including Pachuca, plan to sail on Tuesday when the winds are expected to be favourable.  Most boats stage their passage, making Mandurah on the first day then waiting for favourable winds to make the long leg to Bunbury before nightfall.  Pachuca is burdened with a skipper who feels more comfortable at sea than near land, so we'll set off early in the morning and stay out until we drop anchor in Bunbury.  If the predicted winds come to pass we'll sail well on Tuesday, dawdle along in light winds under the bright stars of the clear summer sky throughout the night, and make landfall in Bunbury on Wednsday.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Glad you and Brenda are off to Bunbury. Sail well and have a good time.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me