This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, October 15, 2007

Water Tanks Re-Installed




Scotty handed over the repaired water tanks on Friday afternoon. On Saturday I installed them both and cleaned up the boat in preparation for taking her out the following day on the FSC Opening Day sail-by. Attached is a photo of Scotty pressure-testing one of the tanks, with Brenda observing. (Note the column of green liquid behind Scotty to measure the pressure in the tank.) Another photo shows a completed tank. A total of 26 patches were made, including a complete re-welding of the end plates. I noticed that the patches were usually in places where the metal came in contact with the wooden framing. Anyway, I agree with Scotty that the tanks are now probably better than new and should easily last another 25 years.

Today Peter from Maritime Electronics re-installed the Autohelm self steering. I was able to assist him by turning the wheel at his command while he worked below. It is very important that the Autohelm knows the exact angle of the rudder. Also, the unit is now turned on via a 30-amp breaker that I installed for the purpose. Having the Autohelm come on whenever I turned on the boat's main power switch sucked big-time. Peter agrees that this was done because there was no free breaker on the main panel. (Remember that I freed up 3 breakers when I set up that sub-board a few months ago.)

Peter then arranged the loan of a Raymarine C120 display so that I can plan and fabricate the wooden installation frame. The attached photo shows the C120 and the radar cable.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me