This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, January 30, 2010

SD Day 7 - We Have Moved



Late this morning Arnold and I moved the boat from the Police Dock to Slip E4 of the San Diego Yacht Club.

I contacted Joe at the SDYC Dockmaster office this morning and he gave me the pen assignment. I then visited the Police Dock office and they gave us a $63 refund on the 3 days of the 10 that we didn't stay and have the option of returning for another 3 days before we depart San Diego.

My exit from the pen at the Police Dock was - well - not the best example of seamanship. I had gone over the challenge with Arnold: 10-12 knot wind coming from the stern and sometimes from the starboard quarter with the various problems that this would present. I made the mistake of not backing out and going to the upwind side of the fairway aggressively. People who had helped us cast off yelled to go forward and out but they did not understand how little drive I have with my 22 HP engine. I went forward, the wind caught me, and we were saved only by four people on the jetty fending us off with all their might. Looking back, if I had reversed even 20 more feet I would have cleared the leeward jetties easily.

We motored into our pen slowly and with a mercifully slight cross wind of 7 knots. Between Arnold fending off with the boat hook and my creeping into the pen we got the boat in with little problem. Afterward I went to the Dockmaster's office and did the paperwork with Joe, who had been briefed by Karen. From there I went to front desk where I was given and electronic key to the showers ($100 deposit) and guest passes for Arnold and myself. We have tenure for 10 days but it is likely that we can get an extension.

We've been told that the San Diego Yacht Club is considered to be the premier club of the bay. It certainly seems to have stature and tradition. There are black and white photos of the commodores dating from 1886. (The first and only female commodore appeared in 2006.) The facilities look very good, including a library and the first swimming pool that I have ever seen in a yacht club. We have been given a very good pen, only two boats from the club house. This has relevance to the best news that I have saved for last:
WE NOW HAVE ON BOARD INTERNET ACCESS!!!!

Wow, this changes everything. For the first time since the Makah Indian reservation at Neah Bay I can update this blog and attend to my email from the comfort of Pachuca. I will also be able to make Skype voice calls from the boat. YIIIIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!! We are paying $39 per day for our stay here but figure that the on-board Internet has to be worth at least $10 per day to us.

And I must say that visiting as a member of the Fremantle Sailing Club has made this possible. Sarah, the membership secretary at the FSC, gave me great support with her letter of accreditation to the SDYC.

The accompanying photos are of Pachuca in her new home. The first photo shows the SDYC club house in the background.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Very interesting building behind the SDYC mooring spot.

sm said...

Wonder how often they have had a boat in harbor flying the Aussie flag?

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me