This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, July 12, 2010

Propeller Shaft Hiccup

This morning I went to the boat yard expecting to have the boat back in the water by the end of the day.  Instead I was told in a telephone conversation with the propeller shaft man that there were two problems: (1) he could not straighten the shaft, (2) the diameter of the shaft was slightly smaller than the coupler. Later Alejandro told me of another problem: the  area of the shaft where the PSS dripless packing was to be fitted was too rough for the PSS packing, which required a very smooth surface. 

My initial information was that a new shaft could  be made with 316 stainless steel that was on hand.  This was not the Aquamet 22 standard  used in the USA so I telephoned Mark to discuss it.  He suggested that 316L (low carbon) would be preferable and fortunately there is 316L in stock in La Paz. 

The next decision was mine to make alone because I am most familiar with the drawings.  I decided  that I could take advantage of being forced to buy a new shaft by making it 3" (75mm) longer than the old one.  This will result in the new engine being sited further forward in the compartment, slightly higher from the bilge, and resulting in less digging out of the engine bed.  Also, it gets the gear shift mechanism away from the bulkhead, aft of the compartment.

So I have ordered the new shaft which should be ready in 2 or 3 days.  The quotation is $550 USD but will provide a new shaft that is well mated to the propeller at one end and the coupler at the other and will host the PSS dripless packing.  I have made arrangements to visit the shop tomorrow to look at the old shaft, see what I can learn about the pitch of the propeller, and discuss the construction of the key way (e.g. rounded corners) and the material of the key (bronze).

Brenda's Bird of the Day is (again) a Costa's Hummingbird. Why a repeat? Today one flew by the window of our room which is on the first floor. When I looked out, I saw three hummingbirds zooming around in a tecoma shrub nearby.

3 comments:

Chris said...

That Costa Hummingbird has colours on it like a Western Ground Parrot!! Fancy that!

sm said...

Did you take the photo of the hummer?

Robert Morales said...

Alas, there is no photo of one of the local humming birds. They are difficult to capture on film because they are so small, fast, and unpredictable.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me