This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

We Are Moving

Brenda and I will be moving out of the hotel tomorrow for an apartment closer to the city center. The accompanying photo is one last look from our room door.

Over the last 10 days we have become acquainted with Juan, part of the 3-man crew of a large commercial catamaran that they brought over from Los Cabos for repairs.  The company has put them up at this hotel but Juan hit the streets last week to find something cheaper for a 4-day visit from his wife and son.  He found a set of apartments that proved so good for him and his family and were so much cheaper than this hotel that he obviously felt compelled to enlighten us and help us to save mucho dinero.

The numbers were compelling.  At this hotel we are paying $330 USD or about 4125 pesos per week.  An apartment was available at 3500 pesos per calendar month.  That's less than $9.50 USD per day.  The pricing structure was strange: 2 weeks for 3750 pesos or one month for 3500 pesos.  (Duh, let me think about that one for a while.)

This morning Juan took Brenda and myself to the apartment building and it was as he had said.  The apartments are fully furnished, with air conditioning and TV (no Internet but we have our Telcel dongle).  Our apartment is on the third (top) floor at the end of the wing with pleasant views among some trees.  On the other side of the apartment we have a street view.  Theresa the manager then took us  down to the court yard where she showed us where to put the trash and the laundry, which has a pay washer and dryer.  The apartment still shows vestiges of the hotel that it used to be because Theresa will clean the apartment and change the sheets and towels at varying times during the week.

At the office I put down 3500 pesos in cash but won't get a receipt until later today when the owner comes around.  But to complete the trust thing Theresa didn't count the money until I asked her to. 

Brenda and I are looking forward to the change.  The apartment is on the other side of the marina closer to the town center.  We will be much closer to the Bravo market for fish, fruit and vegetables, as well as the ATMs and other services that the city has to offer.

The one month tenure will mean that we can take our time about moving back into Pachuca and will possibly do our sea trials and still have the apartment to come back to. 

On the way back I  gave Juan a tour of Pachuca while Brenda went on to see Ib and Yadranka before they left for Mazatlan.  The  inside of  Pachuca looks like a train crash but Juan said that he liked what he saw.  We then went into the workshop where I introduced him to Mercedes and then showed him the new Volvo  engine as well as the old Sabb engine next to it.

In the meantime Brenda did spend some time with Ib and Yadranka who were indeed leaving for Mazatlan today On their Hans Christian 38 Aeolus to have the first service done on their new engine.  The good news is that they expect to return to La Paz in two weeks, which appears to be a change of plans.  I suspect that the attractiveness of the La Paz climate more than made up for the higher  marina prices, although I did make a strong case to Ib for living at anchor near the marina.  Brenda told me that they expect to do some exploring of the Sea of Cortez and will eventually return to Australia across the Pacific Ocean via the Galapagos.  It is possible that we will meet at some anchorage during our sea trial.

On the way back Juan gave me a tour of his catamaran.  I wrote "his" because at 32  years of age he is captain with all of the required experience and certification.  The catamaran normally takes out 200 people on day trips out of Cabo, but it has held a whopping 400.

The accompanying photo is of Capitan Juan Liquidano at the helm of his ship.

Yesterday Juan had asked me if I liked Mexican food.  When I replied that I love it he invited Brenda and myself to his home for dinner if we made it back to Cabo.  I later told Brenda what an honor it is to be invited to any Spaniard's home.  This morning he told me that he hoped that we would make it to Cabo and I told him how honored we felt and that we would try.

On the work front Mercedes and Joel were at it again with the engine mounts.  I offered to paint the engine beds this weekend but Joel indicated that Salome the fiberglass man was expected to do it.  I didn't argue.   Why should I, when it gives me two free days for touring?

Walking off the marina jetty this morning I managed to sneak a photo of the regular morning Yoga group.








Brenda's Bird of the Day is another woodpecker. Not really! It is the same woodpecker as the other two reported earlier. This time I have got the name right: Gila Woodpecker. Today I had the best view of a male (woodpecker) and at last was able to see his small red cap. The birds here seem to have more dark feathers on the wings than the one in the photo. They are breeding now using holes which they have excavated in dead palm trees.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Interesting things keep popping up! Gila Woodpecker has a long sharp beak...lovely close up photo.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me