This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, July 9, 2010

Vale Sabb Diesel

The Sabb engine was extracted this morning in an operation that went like clockwork:  the crane arrived just after 9 AM and by 10 AM both the engine and propeller shaft were out of the boat.

I started the morning by visiting Joel at Marina de La Paz at about 8.15 AM. Between waking up and getting out of bed I remembered that the new shaft coupler must accompany the shaft so that the machinists could make sure that it would fit OK.  I got the coupler from Joel and told him that I'd see him at 9 AM.

When I arrived at the boat yard I found the antifouling guys waiting for the paint.  I felt bad because I had locked it inside the boat for the night but on the other hand at 8.30 AM they could not have been waiting too long.  I noted that the sanding of the boot topping had been completed, tape had been put above its upper edge, and primer had been laid.  Yes, I asked them to raise the water line approximately 2 inches to the top of the boot topping.  No boot topping line would be painted above it because I expect to have the hull repainted when I return to Fremantle.  (That will be part of Pachuca's reward for getting me back alive.)

Soon Joel and his colleague arrived and began planning the liftout.  By the time  the crane arrived they had worked out their plan.  The crane looked  was  truck mounted and  appeared to be the perfect size for the operation.  Straps were used instead of chains and I noticed when I took a peep inside that once the engine was in suspension Joel could manipulate it with great ease and dexterity.  Soon they had the engine above the first step of the companionway and after that it was a straightforward effort.

Not long after the crane left the propeller and anodes were taken off the shaft and the shaft was pushed out through the empty engine compartment.  I then began the task of cleaning the bilge of its mixture of water , oil, grease, and diesel fuel.  The job was made more challenging by the fact that I could allow no water to escape down the side of the boat over the first coat of antifouling.  I spent the rest of the day on this task, with a pleasant lunch break involving the short walk to the hotel, a shower, lunch, and a 30 minute nap.  By the end of the day I had the engine and stuffing box sections of the bilge  reasonably clean.  I also removed 3 or  4 remaining engine mounts and figured out how I will remove the angle irons from the engine beds.  (In the morning I will have to do some cutting with a hack saw or ask for help with an angle grinder.)



I left the boat very satisfied with the day's events: The engine and propeller shaft were out and I had the entire weekend in which to clean the bilge and engine bed.  As I walked back to the hotel I thought of how comfortable I am becoming with Mexican workers.  They have their own pace but they get things done.  They are contented, work well together, apply their ingenuity to the job at hand, and get damned good results.  They show no slyness or guile but rather are polite, direct, and what you see is what you get.  And by the way, the Mexicans are very proud people and justifiably so. I hope that somehow Mexico avoids the outer limits of capitalism where time is so expensive that workers are stressed out trying to get too much done in too little time with too little help.

After dinner Brenda and I visited the boat yard where I verified that the shaft and coupler had been removed for the straightening work.  To be honest, I had a good look at the shaft and could detect no bend.  It was indeed of 1 1/4" diameter and it appeared to be in prime condition, probably a testimonial to the quality of materials used in Australia in the 1980's.

One of the photos shows me peering down while a yard worker pulls out the propeller shaft.  The last photo is of the propeller.  An enlargement would show the markings on the boss which are "Australia" on one side and "17LRX" on the other.  I presume that this means that the propeller has a 17" diameter.  If I cannot figure out how "LRX" relates to pitch then I'll have to learn from the Web how to do my own calculation.

Brenda's Bird of the Day is a Hooded Oriole. I have seen one from the balcony outside our room but it is a bird in a hurry and I have had no chance for a photo. So the photo is from the Web.

1 comment:

Chris said...

The Hooded Oriole is a beautiful bird. Lots of hard work going on!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me