This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, August 13, 2010

Engine Topped Up

Closeup of Trnasmission Linkage
My first gofer task for Joel this morning was to buy five 1" clamps to allow him to finish the plumbing work.  When I delivered them I was sent out for the oils and cooling fluid.  I checked with 3 places but was not able to purchase the prescribed low detergent oil (e.g. Delo 100) and of course was not able to find the prescribed Volvo cooling fluid because the nearest Volvo Marine dealer is in Mexico City.  I consulted with Mark in Port Townsend and got the OK to go with the Delo 400 SAE 15W40 detergent oil and the standard green glycol coolant.  Finding the specified transmission fluid (ATF Dexron III) was no problem.  I handed the material to Joel who asked for the mixing ratio of the coolant and I told him 50-50  coolant concentrate to distilled water.  I then went off for my lunch break, which would be extended as usual because I didn't want to crowd Joel out while he was doing his work.

Repainted Cable Clamp
When I returned to the boat Joel declared that the engine had the required crank case oil, transmission oil, and coolant.  I then dug out my crank case oil extraction pump and he showed me how to modify it for extracting both crank case oil and transmission oil from the new Volvo.  Then he gathered up his tools and left me with the task of laying out the cable harnesses between the engine and the cockpit instruments.  It took me about one hour to do this job, most of the effort devoted to drilling a 32mm diameter hole through the tough 10mm thick bulkhead.  I then reloaded the quarter berth storage and documented the items as I stowed them (including a spare admiralty anchor from Chiquita and 80 meters of 12mm rode).

Fuel Return to Tank
I'll go to the boat early tomorrow to tidy it up before Victor the electrical consultant visits.  Joel will also drop by to help me mount the instruments.

According to Joel the engine will be ready to fire up as soon as we have the instruments connected.  However, much will depend on what Victor says must be done to set up the electrics.

I am including closeup photographs of both the transmission linkage (Sabb component light blue) and the clamp holding the cable. Also, Joel found a way to connect the fuel overflow hose into the port tank which happened to have a free fitting.  The Sabb didn't require one and I had been expecting to see a new hole drilled into one of the fuel tanks.


 Brenda's footpath challenge of the day is especially for those using wheelchairs or pushers for small children. The photo shows a nicely built wheelchair access ramp, painted blue.  As you can see, after crossing the road you come to some formidable steps. You will have to take our word for it that there is similar lack of wheelchair accessibility on all other corners of the busy downtown intersection.

2 comments:

Chris said...

The footpaths continually change don't they? Always watch out!

mark jochems said...

check facebook messages

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me