This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Linkages and Plumbing Complete

The last two days have been busy but productive.

Yesterday I arrived at the boat at 9 AM to find that both the fiberglass instrument panel and the saddle of my cockpit lifeline and its thick wood backing plate had been removed.  Fortunately I had briefed Joel on my concerns with the rickety instrument panel and he had met the fiberglassers before my arrival and discussed the problems with them.  I went to the workshop to touch base with Joel and he took me out back where Salome and his partner were doubling the width of the flanges on all 3 sides.  Neat cuts had already been made at one end of the backing plate and part of the large washer in order to make room for the wider flange.  Yes, they saw the circle where I wanted a 17mm hole cut for the light of the system alarm that I had omitted in my original specifications.

At the boat Joel discussed with me some suggestions of jobs that I could do.  The first thing that we did was compile a list of hoses, joiners, clamps, and fittings that I would have to purchase.  Then I was to pass the two engine wiring harnesses from the engine compartment to the instrument panel.  Finally I was to remove the redundant engine-stop cable because the Volvo had a modern electro mechanical fuel cutoff.

Gear Shift Linkage Using Sabb Part
Throttle Linkage
While we were conversing I glanced down and noticed that the gear shift linkage was in place.  Yep, Joel had completed the task without making a big deal out of it.  He got a longer cable from somewhere else and presumably fed it under the companionway which would not have been an easy job.  For the cable-Volvo linkage he adapted the piece from the Sabb engine which means that a part of the Sabb engine will endure on Pachuca not as a museum piece but as an important working component.  The Volvo cable retainer was not required so I will keep it in case I need it in the future.  I then glanced over and saw that the throttle linkage had also been set up.

I then went into the cockpit to see the result of the remedial work on the instrument panel.  Everything was in order: the new handle had been fitted on the cover, the hole had been drilled for the buzzer alarm light, and the panel was fixed with nuts and bolts.  Salome & Co had managed to do this in one day and even filled in the old screw holes.  I was very happy with this result.

Today was a busy and hot road day procuring the items that Joel wanted.  Because I've got such a rotten short term memory (Hey, don't be too hard on me folks because Einstein used to forget to do up his fly.) I had carefully written down the requirements down in four groups:
(1) 8" extension to the 2" diameter exhaust hose, including a fiberglass joiner and clamps
(2) Longer 1" diameter raw water inlet hoses, 7' long from the thru-hull fitting to the raw water strainer, and 3' long from the strainer to the engine
(3) 3/4" diameter anti-siphon loop hosing, with clamps and 2 joiners
(4) 3/8" fuel hoses, 4' and 12', along with clamps and two new metal fittings to the Racor filter to take the larger hoses.
Overview Showing Fuel and Water Lines

As I was rushing to the boat I saw the unusual sight of Neil at the Palapa of Wisdom and Knowledge coffee table along with Bob Carrol, Dave, and Don and I could not resist the dereliction of duty of a cup of coffee in that august company.  It's just as well because soon Joel came by and told me that he had found a U-shaped hose section for a Yanmar engine that would avoid me having to purchase two elbows and clamps for a really clumsy setup. Neil told me that I could expect Victor AviƱa Franchini tomorrow (Friday) do consult on my electrical system.
Closeup of the connection to the anti siphon valve. 

Until 2 PM I was on the road visiting by bicycle Los Arcos once, and Lopez Marine & Seamar twice.  At the end of the day I had found everything that Joel required with one caveat.  I was not able to find bronze 3/8" joiners for the antisiphon loop and we had to settle for plastic ones.  Joel insists that there will be no hot water passing through that loop but then I ask why the hosing I went to a lot of trouble to find is rated at 250F degrees.  I told Joel that I have ordered bronze ones from Seamar and should get them in a about a month. 
Anti Siphon Valve

Exhaust Hose Extension
When I delivered the last consignment of parts for Joel I asked if he needed my help and he said No, go and have your lunch.  Gracias Amigo I replied and arrived at the apartment wringing wet with sweat.  The air conditioning in the apartment felt phenomenal.  After one quick beer as an emergency procedure to quickly bring down my body temperature (tee hee) I jumped in the shower and emerged wearing my standard La Paz summer wardrobe in the apartment: underpants only.  After lunch and a second beer I had a wonderful hour of siesta then left the apartment at 4.30 PM to check out the day's work.  It appeared that all of the plumbing work had been completed.  I took some photographs and arrived back at the apartment wringing wet with sweat - there has been a definite change of season and La Paz is getting more humid.

I think that tomorrow will be Electrics day.  We'll certainly connect the Volvo instruments.  Victor the consultant will have things to say about the more exotic aspect of the setup.  If I get a chance I will take guidance from the Volvo manual to  purchase engine oil (low detergent SAE 15W40), coolant fluid, and ATF (Dexron II, III) for the transmission.

La Paz Dead End Trap
Brenda's Footpath Challenge of the Day is the Dead End Trap. The trusting citizen walks along this section of the path, literally walks into a stone wall, then finds his way out by using the step in the foreground to make a leap to the safety of the street.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Very interesting footpath setups. Maybe the stone wall is for security.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me