This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dinner at Mark's

On Tuesday evening I visited Mark's home for dinner.

The visit started at Shoreline Marine Diesel where Mark presented me with the replacement alternator provided at no charge under warranty to me by Volvo.  We brought up a photo of the original alternator before I removed it from the engine and we discussed the installation process.  We then discussed measurements to be taken at various rpm to assess the performance of the re pitched propeller, as well as the maintenance to be done at 50 hours of running time.  From this discussion Mark thought that carrying a spare head cover gasket would be a good idea and that was subsequently ordered.

I then followed Mark to his property which I think is between Port Hadlock and Port Ludlow.  It is on an acre of land, backing onto a handsome forest, and on a hill with glimpses of Puget Sound.

Growing Mushrooms
There was enough daylight remaining to allow a tour of the property and wow, are Mark and his wife Chris productive people.  There was a variety of over 30 fruit trees that they planted a few years ago, berry bushes, garden plots all over the place and several green houses for growing all sorts of vegetables.  Mark showed me how they grow mushrooms, storing the logs containing the spores, soaking them when they want to activate the growing process, then hanging the logs to prevent - the slugs, I think - from getting to the mushrooms.  He and Chris make a lot of cider from their produce.

Then I got a big surprise when we visited the large sauna that he designed and built several years ago.  We passed through the first section that contained a bench and shower to enter the sauna itself with its two tiers of benches and stove with rocks on top of it.  Mark told me that they have reached temperatures of 225 F but they prefer it 20 or 30 degrees lower.  (Eat you heart out, Ib!)

Then I got a tour of the house which like the sauna showed lots of thought and reflected Mark's love of wood and years of experience in the logging industry.  He seemed to know each piece of wood by species, quality, and where it came from.  He showed me how the end grain on one of the stair posts indicated what sort of life the tree had had.  I'll let the photographs (some provided by Mark) speak for themselves.  Note the loft that supports a double bed.  Note also the mortise and tenon joints.

Shower at Sauna Ante Room

Mark


Dinner was a treat and a real adventure for me.  I had eaten crab before but it was always crab meat without the crab.  I expected to see lots of teeny little crabs.  Instead there were three live crabs that to me looked huge.  They were boiled in a large pot then Mark, Chris, and son Torsten enjoyed a mini banquet that included big fleshy shrimp, along with a bottle of Australia red that I had brought.  Mark sat next to me and showed me how to use the tools for cracking the shells and digging out the flesh.

Mark is too smart to have a boat.  He says that his house is his boat.  And a worthy boat it is indeed.




Loft off Second Floor

Cool Swing Out Screen in Main BR


7 comments:

Chris said...

Growing mushrooms on hanging logs...I wonder if holes are drilled to fill in the spores??

Mark Jochems said...

Yes the holes are drilled into a hard wood log. The spawn is in a sawdust base. There is a special tool for injecting the spawn into the hole. Then the hole is sealed with liquid wax. The logs are kept damp for a year and a half. as soon as the temperature reaches 60F they are ready to be soaked. the sit in water for 4 or 5 days, and that activates the fruiting process for the shittake.
The logs are hanging because it discourages slugs.

Anonymous said...

Robert I learned of S/V Nereida through your blog. In case you don't know she was knocked down at 2249UTC today @ 55:59S 071:45W, Capt. Jeanne is ok hoping to make into port around the Horn for repairs. Lost boom, has Headsails.
Ron.

Robert Morales said...

Thank you for that timely information, Ron. It was a real shocker and doe not portend well for my plans (gulp!). At least Jeanne is personally OK. -Robert

Anonymous said...

Your most welcome Sir. I have admired your travels & enjoy your blog very much, look forward to reviewing your continued journey. Tis a shame for Jeanne. I had been tracking her course along with wx in her area, a strong low was converging on the same Lat/Lon just S. of her, it seems likely it overtook her as it swept around the Cape. All the best as you fetch your next horizon. Ron

Arnold said...

Minor correction: the name of the town you referenced in several earlier posts is spelled POULSBO, not PAULSBO.

Oh well -- I'm sure that Poulsbo's many Norwegian residents will understand the error and won't be offended. :)

Robert Morales said...

Thanks for that. I think that I've made that mistake before. I found a "Paulsbo" in my Hello Blog entry of 12 December and corrected it.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me