This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sail on Orisha

On Saturday Arnold and I took the ferry to Edmonds then drove north to Utsalady Boat Ramp Park on Camano Island where we met Christoper Boscole for an afternoon's sail aboard his McGregor 65 "Orisha".  It turned out to be a great afternoon for sailing when we were generally doing over 6 knots in very calm waters. 
Christopher at winch, Arnold at helm

Arnold did most of the helming while Chris and I investigated the sources of problems with his Monitor wind steering that has never performed satisfactorily for him.  We got some good insights into the issues and Chris is now getting good support from Scanmar, the manufacturer, toward a resolution.

Nav Station and Cabin Interior

Monitor Setup
Arnold at his work bench with the soldering iron
Soldering and heat shrink task
I've included a couple of photos of Arnold's repair of Pachuca's spare flux gate compass.  His task was to repair the cable that had been severed by the electrical fire.  Each of the four wires was soldered and insulated in heat shrink insulation.  Then the entire 4-wire join was protected by heat shrink insulation.

1 comment:

Jim Macbeth said...

Hi Robert, from D Jetty

Another of my Murdoch colleagues is up there in the Seattle area, taking a year off from being an academic here. I did a spring season of sailing out of Olympia many years ago and finding wind was always a challenge - always plenty of rain instead. When I originally sailed back to OZ, my first crew position was on a yacht from Vancouver, so sailed through the islands to Victoria and out the Strait - so I know what sort of sailing you had out of Seattle.

Tiga has been going through a major make-over during the last few years, nothing serious to the hull, etc. But, at 30 years, did a lot of work on the mast, electrics, new rigging, fitted a hard dodger, new engine, electronics and now a few collateral little things need doing. I hope to do significant sailing next year, from Christmas onwards as I leaving paid employment finally to do more sailing and, hopefully, research projects.

I guess you are leaving for the Horn once you return from Seattle so I'll keep a look-out.
All the best, Jim D120

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me