This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, August 1, 2011

Sanding Finished and Flights Booked

Using Caulking for the Rubber Seal
Reggie showed up with his son Nahum and quickly got into the work.

First Reggie fitted the rubber seal to the chain locker lid.  He had chosen the dimensions of the rubber well because after he had cut and bedded down the rubber with teak caulking the lid fit perfectly flush with the surrounding teak. I told Reggie that if the seal kept even just 50% of the water out it should be sufficient to allow the drains to stay ahead of the incoming water.  He figured that the seal would keep out 99% of the water. 
Laying Down the Rubber

He then got to work with sanding, using a sanding disc on his heavy angle grinder for the rough work then his vibrating sander with 60 grit paper for finishing off.  I noted with pleasure how Reggie could sand across the join between the chain locker lid and the surrounding teak as though it was one continuous surface.  Amazing fit.

Tomorrow he will begin to reinstall the various fittings such as the cockpit drains and the hinges, lock, and fair leads at the bow.
Rough Sanding

Beautiful Result

He gave Thursday as the likely finish day so on the strength of that I'll book the lifting of the boat for next Monday.  I've also booked my flights for the visit to Seattle.  I fly out of La Paz on 17 August and return on 17 September.


Finishing Work with 60 Grit Paper
The two uncertainties are Immigration's holding of my U.S. Passport and the duration of the hardstand effort.  I've been told by Immigration that all is in order and I'll be able to pick up my U.S. passport and new FM3 on Thursday.  Regarding the hardstand, there will be a full 7 days in which to get the work done, which should be plenty.  Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being able to book my flight after these risks are resolved.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me