This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, August 22, 2011

Storm Jib

The second hand storm jib that I had ordered on line from La Paz was waiting for me in Arnold's garage when I arrived.

I spread out the sail on the lawn and confirmed that the information upon which I had made my decison to purchase was reasonablyaccurate:  actual luff `17'7", leech 14'7", foot 9'3" (yielding about 80 sq ft).  It appeared to be brand new rather than "very good", and the stitching was excellent.  It had a wire luff as described.

Unfortunately I didn't have all of the information.  The sail is off a Montego 25 (http://www.sailingjoy.com/sailboat_specs/view/570/montego-25) and the cloth is very light - probably lighter than that of Chiquita's storm jib that Victor sent over last year.  One sail maker supplies storm jibs for Montego 25's with material ranging from 7.25 oz to 11 oz.  I'd guess this to be 7 oz material but I'll learn more when I visit Port Townsend.

Having said that, the sail cost only $300 and who knows, it might even survive.  If it blows out it blows out, and end of story.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me