This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Boat in Inner Harbor

Pato showed up at about 2 PM and we had a very productive afternoon.  He had already taken the measurements that he required from the spare headsail that he had dropped the day before, so we worked on obtaining the measurements that the riggers in Buenos Aires required.  Pato will pass on my request that the 8 mm wire of the cap shrouds and inner forestay be replaced with 10 mm wire.  This is subject to the riggers being able to make the required changes to accommodate the bigger rigging pins and bigger slots at the ends of the crosstrees without too many dramas.

I complained that the running backstays always became loose after I brought them on hard and Pato looked at it and said that it was ordinary polyester rope (That figures.  Thanks, previous owners.)  I asked that they be replaced with spectra or some other low-stretch material.  I then pointed out the topping lift which was looking rough when I purchased the boat and worries me now that it will fail while I am out at sea.  I have asked that it be replaced.  Pato told me that the rope will be pricey because these people use the best that is available.  I approved because "the best" is the kind of thing I want to hear.

We discussed the repair of the cockpit spray dodger.  Pato will make some inquiries.  If he can source the window material here in Mar Del Plata he can do the repair in a day.  Otherwise he'll have to either send the dodger to BA or bring in some of the material.  I told him that I didn't mind doing without the spray dodger even if it was raining but I would like to have it in place, repaired or not, when Brenda arrives.

We then had a quick look at the sail cover.  I showed him how I could pull the zipper off with the slightest of effort and he said that the stitching had failed due to UV but the zipper looked OK.  I expected a declaration that a new sail cover would have to be made but Pato told me that the zipper could be repaired and the girth of the sail cover could be expanded.  Regarding the lazy jacks, he said that the cord was readily available here at MdP which means that I'll be putting up my own lazy jacks.  Pato will return and we will remove the tarps covering the mainsail and we will decide on how much more girth is required for the sail cover.  I told him that one thing that I like about Argentina is that they repair things rather than automatically replace them.

I was to go up the mast past the radar and drop the top end of the damaged inner forestay so that we could measure the diameter of the pin for the riggers.  But Pato mentioned what a good day it would be to move the boat.  He must have been reading my thoughts because it was a splendid sunny day and I had been regretting that I was not able to move the boat this day, worried that the weather would close in on Friday.  Pato asked me if I would prefer to move the boat now or go up the mast, a no brainer for me.  I suggested that we get the club to send out a launch to remove my lines from the posts because otherwise I'd have to launch the Zodiac, get off the boat, then somehow we'd have to ship the Zodiac while the breeze would be pushing us to the side.  Pato got on the VHF radio and asked for the launch then he spoke with Club Argentino to get the OK for our entry.  Soon the launch came, the ropes were freed, and I asked the man to pull me out of the slip.  I threw him a rope and he pulled me back to the middle of the water not far from the foot bridge, which was being opened. 
Pachuca's new home

Notice the calm water

My slip was not to be around the end of the jetty and inside of it because Luis had advised Pato that there was a bit of a sand bar at the end of the jetty and I would probably have trouble getting past it.  Instead, it was a more or less straight shot: through the bridge, down the fairway past the Club Nautico half of the inner harbor, then to port and nose in to one of the available slips along the jetty.  I managed to nudge the post between two potential free slips (I blame the prop walk on reverse.) but Pato kept his cool and pulled the boat into the slip with my assistance with the engine.  Soon we were tied up and had a pleasant conversation about our private lives.  I mentioned payment to Pato for his sail repair work and he told me that it would be 1600 pesos.  I had that amount of cash on board so I paid Pato on the spot. 

 After Pato left I connected and tied down the electrics then had a look at our new home.  It was a different world.  Instead of the rough and tumble of the outer harbor we were in the calm waters of a true marina.  There is no side jetty, but movement on and off of the boat over the bow is will much, much easier than before because the floating jetty is significantly higher off the water than before.  I would bring the bow closer to the jetty, put the plastic fold out step on the jetty, and Brenda will be able to bound on and off the boat like a gazelle.

I have just updated my position with "Yotreps". 

So it was a very productive day.  Pato has all of the sail measurements that he needs as well as the information that the riggers require.  I've just noticed that I an email from his colleague regarding payment of my 50% deposit on the new sail, which I will attend to tomorrow.  Once Pato provides me with the final price of the sail I will make the deposit and work on the sail will proceed at North Sails in Buenos Aires. 

Tomorrow I'll make some adjustments to the mooring lines, wash the boat down, and visit Luis to deal with the paperwork and payment for our new home.  Then I'll be able to turn my attention to the new deck fitting for the inner forestay (YES!)

Jorge the waiter has been watching too many American movies and has taken liberties trying out his English on me.  He greeted me with "Hallo Mutherfooker" the other day.  I applauded his great imitation then responded with "Hola, Pendejo." (Hello, Jerk.)  He laughed.  Just now he threw the same invective at me and I escalated my response to "Hola, Hijo de Puta" (Hello, Son of a Prostitute).  I regret to admit that I leaned low such low life Spanish phrases in my early childhood.  If he persists I'll work to improve his aresenal and pronounciation of English language insults (my contribution to Argentinian culture).

1 comment:

Chris said...

That looks like a fantastic spot for Pachuca to slid into and sleep.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me