This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Clearance Blues

I headed for the Prefectura (Coast Guard) at 4 PM to arrange my clearance.  I had been told that it was a fast process, which didn't surprise me given that boats would often not decide on a departure time until the last minute when the weather prospects looked good.  I saw Luis the manager on the way out and told him where I was going.

At the Prefectura the young man told me that I would have to produce four copies of a document to be provided by Club Argentino and filled in by me.  When I had the copies ready I would have to clear with Immigration, Health, Customs, and the Prefectura last.  I expressed surprise that I would have to clear Health and Customs, but I was not in a position to argue.  (Let's think about this.  Why would Health and Customs be interested in me when I'm leaving the country?)  Fortunately the man must have had second thoughts because he made a telephone call and then told me that I would have to clear only Immigration and Prefectura.

He told me the location of the Immigration office, which I already knew.  I asked him if it would be open in the morning and said Yes, at 8 or 9 AM.   I'm not so sure about that because when Pato and I went there in May the office was closed the Pato made a phone call and was directed to go to the main office in the city.

I managed to see Luis before he finished work and he gave me the forms that I must fill out and put the YCA stamp on them.  (... Er Luis ... why didn't you tell me this on the way out?)  The form has subtitles in English which I found thoughtful and helpful, but for some reason all references are to "mailing boat" instead of "sailing boat", and I must suppy a "call sing" instead of a "call sign".  In any event, this is the same form that I filled in when I entered the port, and you'd think that they's simply pull the information up  on the PC.  Oh well ... When in Rome ....

So my plan is to present myself at the Immigration office at about 8.30 AM.  If by 9.30 AM it is still closed I will visit the Prefectura and tell them my problem.  Hopefully they will then make a call and let me know where to go.  I am prepared for a taxi ride in the city.

By the time I complete the clearance the tide will be too low for my exit.  I could leave at the rising tide at the end of the day, but that would mean my being up all night to ensure that I get safely away from land.  I decided to state 6 July as my departure date.  That's a Friday, but I can't afford to be superstitious on this one.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me