This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, September 21, 2012

Janet and Sue at PT Boat Haven

Last Tuesday Jean Davies accompanied me on another visit to the Port Townsend Boat Haven.  Jean and I set off on foot to revisit the first of two jetties where Pachuca had been berthed in 2009.

Brenda and I had gotten to know Janet, whose boat had been berthed on the other side of the jetty from Pachuca, and I had little trouble in finding her boat because it was still decorated with a flower box near the bow. There was a young woman sitting in a boatswain's chair working half way up the mast and on the jetty was Janet herself.  She remembered me, Brenda, and Pachuca.  I introduced her to Jean then she asked me what I had been up to so I gave her a brief outline of my stay in La Paz, the sail around the Horn to Argentina, and the presence of the boat in Brazil.  Janet then gave me the sad news that Bob Benoit, whose boat had been next to Pachuca, had died.  I came to know Bob as a first rate sailor and a fine man.  He had given to me the best book on the exploits of small boat sailors that I've ever read and which is now a permanent member of Pachuca's modest library.  Bob was a lean and strong looking man so the loss came as a shock to me.

I asked Janet if she knew where Sue Hoover's boat Quantum Leap was, and she replied that it was probably near where Pachuca had been berthed the second time.  We drove to the other jetty and Jean waited in the car while I went looking for Sue's boat.  Sue had been forced to make an emergency return to Port Townsend from Anacortes with a suspected bent propeller shaft after running into a mat of eel grass during the night.  Her boat had been lifted out and found to be OK but we weren't sure where the boat was and didn't expect to see Sue because she  would be busy making preparations for departure early on the following day.
Janet

Sue and Jean

I got lucky and found Quantum Leap with Sue on board setting up a charger for her batteries.  We were very glad to see each other again.  Sue then walked back to the car with me to say hello to Jean and we all had a short chat.

Sue was planning to leave very early on the following morning in order to make Anacortes before nightfall.  The next day she would go to Bellingham where she would pick up a friend.  Then the two of them would set off on a 2 or 3 week sail around the San Juan Islands.  Lucky her. The weather was perfect and she was going to have a great time.

--------

Today, Friday, Arnold and I drove to Silverdale to pick up my repaired Toshiba laptop from Best Buy.  The keyboard and two sound cards had been replaced and everything else had been checked and found to be OK.  The all up cost including shipment and tax was $157, which made the repair very worthwhile.  I will now be returning to Brazil with the Acer notebook running XP and two Toshiba laptops running Windows 7.  On the boat is a fourth computer, the original Toshiba laptop running XP.  All four machines will be loaded and ready to go with the required navigation and communication software.  The new Toshiba will be the boat's navigation computer and the repaired Toshiba with its new sound cards will be my movies machine.

While I was at Best Buy I ordered a waterproof roll-up keyboard that can be plugged into any of the four machines via USB for $27, following up on Stephen's suggestion.  I had been planning to use it as a backup in case of keyboard faiulre, however, after looking at the hilarious clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STpNYMNC0K8 I may use it proactively during rough weather to protect the permanent keyboard. 


I've been in contact with Chris Boscole whom I met in Hawaii and currently has his McGregor 65 at Camano Island.   Arnold and I went for a sail with Chris during my last visit and pending good weather we tentatively plan to go out for another sail on the 29th or 30th.
Denver the Philosophical Dog

Finally, I am including a photo of Denver the Dog who has been wearing one of those head cones to prevent him from licking at stitches on his shoulder following minor surgery.  Denver has displayed amazing patience and good humor during the several weeks of his ordeal.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me