This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, September 28, 2012

More Items off the Shopping List, Sailing on Saturday

I have been able to cross off more items from my USA shopping list.

Two "Excalibur" 120mm x 120mm computer fans made by Cool Master arrived early in the week. (http://www.ninjalane.com/reviews/cooling/cm_excalibur) I will use one for extracting air from the compartment holding the refrigerator compressor to replace the one that failed in Argentina.  I purchased two because there  was free shipping with orders of over $25, which made the second fan very cheap.  The all up cost for both fans was $32.35.  The run-of-the-mill fans were so laughably cheap that I sought a more up-market fan with better prospects.  The Excalibur fan rides on ball bearings rather than sleeve, giving it a longer expected life of 100,000 hours.  Arnold connected one to his motorcycle battery and the fan pushed out a serious amount of air.  It draws 320 Ma at full speed.

Then the open flame toaster came in.  Arnold and I had tried to find one at several large sporting goods stores with no luck then Sandra made the useful suggestion that I try Amazon.  Amazon had what I wanted in stock so I immediately placed an order and it was delivered to the house about two days ago.  It is a collapsible one made of stainless steel and should see me through to Australia.  The cost of the toaster (http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Glacier-Stainless-Toaster/dp/B001DHMKV6) was $9.52 but taxes and shipment to the house brought it up to $16.52.
Waterproof Silicone External Keyboard

This morning I drove to Silverdale and picked up the flexible waterproof computer keyboard that I had ordered the previous week.  I plugged it into one of the laptop's USB ports (a PS/2 adapter was also provided) and found that I could use either the in-built or external keyboard.  In a heavy seaway I'll probably protect the in-built keyboard with plastic and rely on the external waterproof one.  The cost including tax was $26.98.

On Wednesday Arnold took a call from West Marine in Kingston advising that the surface mounted Raymarine ST6002 autopilot head (i.e. display/control) had arrived.  This is to replace the one on Pachuca that was repaired in Argentina with the advice to replace it ASAP.  I telephoned yesterday and told West Marine to expect me on Monday to pick it up.  This was the number one item on my USA shopping list.

Tomorrow (Saturday) at 1 PM we will meet Chris Boscole at Salady Point on Camano Island for a sail on Orisha, his 65-ft McGregor.  The forecast is for good weather and light winds.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Looks like you are enjoying your time with your family.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me