This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, September 3, 2012

Shopping List and Visit to Port Townsend

The settling in process has been easy, comfortable, and very pleasant.  The Morales household is functioning well and is superbly maintained.  The dramatis personae are all present as I remember them.  This includes the dog, the two cats, and the bear (whom I am yet to see) who has resumed his visits looking for food in the bird  feeders. The bonus is niece Elisa who will be here another few days.
A Challenging Project

The boat "penalty box"


Interesting if not Beautiful


Arnold had his RX7 ready for my use and after reacquainting me with its controls I made a solo  journey into the Kingston CBD to get cash from the Bank of America ATM and visit the hardware store across the street where I was happy to see that they still have the biggest reading glasses bargain on the planet.  I walked out with 8 pairs of glasses for $40.00.  As she handed me the glasse the lady at the counter told me that it would set me for life and I replied that it would do me for about a year because I live on a boat.  I then drove over to Wal-Mart and purchased things that are trivial in the USA but a big deal in far away lands.  I now have a new pair of track shoes with a half-size to accommodate my high instep and two pairs of my favourite slippers which on the boat is my signal for rest and relaxation whether I'm drifting becalmed or beating through a gale.

Through the Web I ordered an extended capacity (9 cells) battery for the Acer netbook computer and two more Bu-353 GPS antennas because at $25 they are great value for money and provide backup for the two that I a using on the boat.  Today I expect to order the Raymarine ST6002 Plus head  (control&display) for the autopilot  There is much remaining on my boat shopping list, the bulk of which I expect to address at Fisheries Supplies in Seattle.

On Saturday I paid my first visit to Port Townsend.   As soon as I started the RX7 the radio came on with Louie Louie and soon I was zipping down the highway under a sunny and cloudless sky, radio volume up, and feeling like a 68 year old teenager.

The first port of call was predictable: the Port Townsend Boat Haven.  I didn't expect to see any of my friends at the various businesses because it was Saturday and the beginning of the Labor Day weekend, but nevertheless it was great to see the place and the latest crop of boats on the hardstand.  I took several photos.  When I took the photo an interesting looking boat with big lee boards a man came from around his car and started talking with me.  He was the builder and owner offered to let me go aboard and have a look, but I didn't want to trouble him.  Then he jumped on board and had the lug sails up in about 30 seconds.  He described his boat as an "experiment" rather than "beautiful".  I also took a photo of the fenced off compound containing boats whose owners are in arrears in payments to the Haven.  The boats where the matter is not settled will be put up for auction.

I then drove through the town and was reminded of how traditional and charming it is.  I had lunch outside on a deck overlooking the water and got a good dose of sun and warmth.  I had a great dose of food too: a decadent and hefty hamburger with fries accompanied by a glass of chilled white wine.

The Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival (PTWBF, http://woodenboat.org/festival/) begins this Thursday afternoon and will run until Sunday afternoon, and  I expect to visit on Saturday and Sunday.

3 comments:

Nigel said...

Hi Robert, welcome back to the PNW!

We would like to make a day trip this weekend to meet you in PT, have lunch and take in the festival.

Saturday would be best for us, if that works for you.

Pleased to hear!

Cheers, Nigel and Patrick

Chris said...

Glad you are having a wonderful time with your family. Sounds like you know how to drive cars as well as boats these days. Keep thinking you are a happy teenager!!!

Unknown said...

nice blog..


hotels on sg highway

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me