This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

One More Day in Eden





We decided to stay in Eden one more night. My head is still full of cold and Arnold was still throwing up into the early afternoon.

I visited my friends at Customs and got their OK to depart tomorrow (Thursday) morning. I then visited John at the harbour master's office and told him our plans and paid up for the last two nights at the jetty ($10 total!). John told me about the boat that had sunk during the recent blow. It is owned by a doctor who isn't very good at boat maintenance. It is a dive boat with two engines and large cockpit open to the weather. Water started lapping over the side into the boat but because the automatic bilge pump was not working the boat eventually heeled to one side and half sunk. John says that one engine is ruined but there is some hope that the other one can be rebuilt. Our boating friend must be a slow learner because this is the third time that the boat has sunk. I wonder what the insurance company will think. While I was there I mentioned to John that I planned to get nylon mooring lines because they stretch and put less load on the deck fittings. He told me that I could get that done by the net maker up the road.

On the way back to the boat I got into a conversation with the skipper of Kingfisher, the fishing boat ahead of me. I mentioned the 50 kn winds and he said that they were more like 70 kn winds given the effects that they had on the town. Arnold had seen the first squall coming and he said that it looked like a fog bank racing across the bay. When the wind hit Pachuca the B&G wind indicator reported 50 kn, which is the limit of what it can report. Arnold wasn't sure whether the instrument had pegged out at 50 kn and the actual speed was higher. Having said that, we know that we got a lot of protection from both the jetty and the boats upwind of us, particularly the fishing boat Kingfisher directly ahead of us. We were pointing SW with the jetty on our starboard side and as luck would have it, the bulk of the wind was coming from about 10 degrees off our starboard bow, yielding maximum protection to us from the jetty and the boats. Without that little bit of assistance the night would probably ended in disaster. The man also expressed surprise that my midships bollard had not been ripped out, which was precisely one of my big fears of the night. I fitted the cleats with four s/s bolts, each with three flat washers between the underside of the deck and the nuts: one very large one, one smaller one, and one smaller yet. The idea was to spread the load across as much area as possible. However, I never expected these cleats to take the load placed on them during the blow. I credit the survival of the cleat to the thickness of the fiberglass deck. These older boats are built like tanks. One explanation given to me is that in the early 80's builders were not sure how strong fiberglass was, so they built solid.

At 4 PM Arnold, Brenda, and I picked up Pachuca's new mooring lines. All lines are of 20mm nylon – nylon because it stretches and therefore reduces the shock load on the deck fittings. The forward and aft mooring lines are 8 meters long with a loop at each end. The springers are 12 meters long with a loop at one end. We tried them out and they work OK. We plan to get heavier and thicker barge boards in NZ.

Pachuca is steadily being transformed into a battle-hardened cruiser.

It is evening now and Arnold is on the mend. I brought him back an ice cream cone and he wolfed it down – and held it down, in contrast to the instant noodles that he had tried an hour earlier that ended up over the side. He enjoyed it so much that he got out of his bunk and went to the cafe and had two more double cones. He's now returning to his normal self. ... Who needs a doctor when 5 scoops of Macademia nut ice cream will cure the ailment.

So once more our water tanks are full, the batteries are charged, and we are prepared to sail early in the morning.

Attached are photos of Peter's Tasmanian-made cray boat that he is beautifully restoring. There are also photos of the unfortunate dive boat.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me