This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Calm Wind

We sailed OK all night with a 15 kt wind off our starboard quarter, averaging about 4.5 kt with a small headsail. Soon after breakfast the wind died as predicted by the grib file and for the last few hours we have been inching along at 1.5 kt with a 5 kt wind in a falling sea. Unfortunately we are still 6 nm from the latitude of the Oregon-California border so that milestone must be deferred until later in the afternoon. The sky is overcast with occasional drizzle. There are prospects for better wind this evening.

This morning I checked out the diesel engine. The Racor fuel separator showed no water in the bowl. The engine oil level was spot on. The two belts on the 160-amp alternator were loose so I tightened them up. That reminded me that we have run the engine at least 32 hours since leaving Port Townsend. I'll defer checking the transmission oil level until we arrive in San Francisco.

Just before lunch I positioned the anchor back on the roller where it belongs, but lashed it firmly to the roller. I had a look at the damage to the bow from the loose anchor. There is an arc of indentation on the metal plate and scratching of the paint work of 150 mm. I'll touch up the paint work with 2-part part white International paint that I have on board. The dent on the plate will be a permanent battle scar and a reminder to me to better prepare.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

Lynn & Nancy said...

After yesterday's winds and seas, I hope you have had a chance to rest. We're thinking of you and long for the blue water! Fair winds.

Nancy Erley & Lynn Terwoerds
s/v Tethys

Coral said...

Very relieved to see that the winds have died down - I know you want wind but it must be a relief just the same, not to have gale force...
All's well that ends well.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me