This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, October 5, 2009

Galley Modification


This is one of those minor modifications that can make cruising life easier.

The problem was that water would find its way from the sink across the counter surface and into the refrigerator compartment, particularly in a seaway, and especially when heeled to port. And when trying to dish up a meal on a starboard heel anything not on one of those grippy pads would wind up in the sink.

I went to my friends at the boat building co-op with the specifications for a wooden barrier. The first person I spoke with was Chris who asked me the color of the other wood trim then told me to come back at 4 PM, in less than 2 hours. When I returned he handed over a beautifully finished piece and started to walk away. I asked him how much I owed him and he said that there was no charge. I forced a $20 bill on him and told him to go and buy himself a beer.

I like Port Townsend. It is boating heaven.

I put one good coat of varnish on the piece and yesterday I fitted it with three 6g pan head screws on top of silicone sealant. I would have preferred to put the screws in from below but the framework of the counter top made that impossible.

Come to think of it, I made a similar modification to my previous boat, Angie.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I am going to go on board this yacht again one day to check out all the modifications, Bob! They don't stop!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me