This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Flags, Baja Filter, etc

Yesterday Joyce introduced Brenda to some local shops and she had a very successful visit to the whale Point chandlery. Brenda came back with Mexico and Costa Rica courtesy flags with the Ecuador and Chile flags on order. She also arrived with a "Baja filter" and an overhaul kit for the marine toilet. She also ordered "Spanish for
Cruisers" by Cathy Parsons. These were items that I wanted to procure here in the Bay area so that I can minimize my stay in San Diego and it was a relief to have them dropped into my lap by Brenda.

The "Baja Filter" is a funnel that can filter dirt and water out of diesel fuel. It is a must-have item when cruising south of the border. The "Spanish for Cruisers" is part of my preparation for learning to speak Spanish again in Latin America. I've already started work with four books on the Spanish language that Brenda's father used when he was learning Spanish. The flags were so well made and reasonably price that today I purchased courtesy flags of Nicaragua, Guatemala, Panama, and ordered flags for the Falklands and South Africa.

Bud came over with his tools and had a look at checking the tension on the SABB diesel head bolts. There was a complication with the valve rocker assemblies so I telephoned Mark at Shoreline Marine Diesel in Port Townsend. The result of that call may be one of the longer distance marine diesel work follow up visits on record. By chance Mark must drive to the Oakland area at the end of the month for some accreditation training and he has agreed to drop by and check those head bolt tensions, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Today I picked up the correct cartridge of charts covering all of South America for the chart plotter. I also fitted the spray dodger that Elizabeth had repaired.

This morning Brenda said goodbye to Barry and Joyce, who are returning to their home in Nevada for two weeks. I expect to see them again just before I depart for the south.

Bud has loaned to me "The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California" covering the from the Golden Gate to Ensenada Mexico. Between this and the Spanish language books I'll have plenty to do in the evenings.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wow! what a lot of flags...plenty of countries to visit. You are a great shopper Brenda!!

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me