This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, November 23, 2009

Weekend






On Friday morning we had strong winds. To me it looked like a classical passage of a front. The wind was very calm in the early morning, started building up from the SE, reached 25-30 kt, then began to veered to the SW with a bit of rain. The strong wind warning was to 1 PM and sure enough at noon the wind began to abate and by 1 PM all was well. However, during the height of the wind Pachuca did a lot of rocking and rolling because her stern is exposed to the fetch to the edge of the marina. I put out extra lines and fenders. Enclosed are two photos of the morning.

On Saturday we rode the No. 74 bus to the Hilltop mall for some shopping. For all of the derision and scorn that I have endured from various quarters for the $12 WalMart sneakers that I wear I am most pleased to report that after witnessing the elegance, simplicity, durability, and easy velcro strapping of these shoes Brenda got a pair of her own. I bought a 4th pair for myself (on standby for the future) as well as bedroom slippers for $10.

In the afternoon I made the 2 km walk to Whale Point Hardware to find a replacement nut for the one on the portside pedal of the new bicycle that had come off while Brenda was riding back from the store (forcing her to pick up the loose pedal from the path and walk the bike home). The nut was identified as a metric 10 mm with a 125 thread and when I got back to the boat I managed to fit the nut with some effort. (I plan to visit a bicycle shop in Berkeley to get a better-fitting nut.)


At 5.40 PM Brenda and I arrived at Barry's boat Fleetwing, an Islander 37 for dinner with him an Jim, who has Wind Warrior, a Petersen 34 further up the jetty. It was a very pleasant evening with beer, wine, a superb meal out of Barry's pressure cooker, and plenty of boat and people yarns. Barry's background entertainment was superb: Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jim Croce performing on his flat screen monitor. The accompanying photo is of Jim on the right and Barry on the left, who Brenda and I think is a dead ringer for Russel Crowe.

Sunday was day of repairing and installing latches. Two drawers next to the wet weather locker slide open when heeled hard to port. They have those latches where you stick your finger through a hole and flip back the spring-loaded latch. This was fiddly work, made more difficult by the fact that every drawer has different dimensions. For one drawer the thin wooden spacer holding the plate upon which the latch hooks had split. I made another spacer by sawing off part of a wooden coat hanger then getting to work with a chissel. The other drawer required a thin spacer so I was forced to use a stainless steel washer with a second hole drilled into it to accommodate the second retaining screw. The work was not to the standard of what I would do in Australia, where I would have access to my electric tools and proper materials from a wide variety of sources; but it got the job done. The other latch job was for the doors of the electrical panel and the chart compartment. The door of the electrical panel would no longer fit without a hard thump from my fist and required chisel work. The door to the chart storage would fly open when heeled hard to starboard in heavy weather, disgorging charts and plastic containers storing flags and electrical components onto the sole at the most inconvenient times. To both doors I fitted solid brass swivel latches that I got at Whale Point and should fix those problems. It was for me a long and frustrating day where the results did not seem to justify the effort. However, I know that the reward will come when the sailing gets heavy and I no longer have the demoralization of doors and drawers flying open.

There are two accompanying photos showing the circular swivel latches. Note the edge of the garbage bag protruding from around the HF radio. I was in the section behind the HF rado reseating connections trying to eliminate an intermittent problem I've been experiencing where Sailmail loses connection to the Pactor modem (In fact I did find a loose connection.) and I noticed several drops of water on the HF radio. I've never experienced a moisture problem with either this new Icom HF or the Kenwood that preceeded it, however it is rare that I take access to that section and I got spooked by the possibility that the radio is getting regular doses of water. There seems to be a problem when serious water either from rain or the sea reaches the companionway, where water finds its way into the ceiling cavity. There is either an immutable design problem or a failure of material, but I am not in a position to take that section of the boat apart for an investigation. It is all about protecting the radio so my pride will have to take second place to the garbage bag. (The wood trimming around the HF radio opening also awaits my return to Australia.)

1 comment:

chris said...

Poor Brenda having to wheel the bike all the way back to the ship. I found it hard work walking less than 1km yesterday!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me