This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Anodes and Painting

I was shocked when Jose told me a few days ago that the anodes on the propeller shaft needed replacing after only a few months in the water.  He also advised protecting the propeller by using a screw-on anode that I didn't quite understand.  Today at Seamar I got the two anodes for the shaft and the anode for the propeller.

The photo shows the propeller anode.  The bronze piece is threaded and is screwed tight against the propeller.  The slots on this piece are for fitting the cotter pin through the shaft.  The anode slips over the bronze piece and is held by the screw at the end.  The stub of the old shaft was invaluable because it eliminated all guess work.  I was frankly amazed that the nut on the bronze piece matched the thread on the stub, because I have become accustomed to being tripped up by differences in USA-Australian standards.

Late in the afternoon I re assembled and mounted the newly-painted cockpit table.  I must admit that I miss the previous "woody" look but I'm sure that I'll become accustomed to the more practical white treatment.  The table has three coats of Dupont Imron, which is basically a total coating of plastic.  I wasn't satisfied with my finish of the final coat and plan to spend an hour sanding the visible parts of the table and then putting on a final coat.  Working on the jetty in the full glare of the sun is not conducive to ... er ... artistic sensibility.  For one thing, the paint was thick and fast-drying.  For the last coat I will cut the paint with yet more thinner and go a bit light on the accelerant.  The dampness shown in the photos is the result of my hosing down the cockpit to get rid of he sanding dust.

The character of the marina has changed drastically in the last 5 days.  Boat from the annual "Baja Ha Ha" rally from California have begun arriving.  My understanding is that most of the boats will come to La Paz.  This marina is booked out and there are expectations of around 80 boats at anchor.  I try to present as friendly and helpful demeanor as possible, because I remember when Arnold and I arrived wide-eyed, not having a clue of what was what.

Having said that, after 7 months here I feel like an old timer resident, trying hard not to be smug and condescending.  I think that deep down inside I feel that staying in La Paz during the full onslaught of the summer heat gives me a bit of ... hmm ... stature and street cred.  Also, going through the process of repowering the boat has given me depth beyond what the average visitor will experience.  And finally there are the guys from the Palapa of Wisdom, Knowledge, and Truth who are true residents of La Paz plugged in to the nitty gritty of day to day life here and have helped immeasurably in making me feel part of the scene.

By the way, the weather in La Paz this time of year is absolutely outstanding!!!  The nights are cool enough to warrant a sheet and blanket, and the days are, well, for me, of perfect temperature.  All this is under day after day of crystal clear skies, meaning bright sun and sparkling stars.  I love it!

Finally, I dropped by Eco Naviera and asked them if my FM3 temporary resident status would allow me free travel to the USA.  No hay problema.  On the way back I will present my FM3 card to Mexican Immigration and hopefully straight through I will go.

2 comments:

yu said...

I hope you'll have a good luck.

Chris said...

FM3 card sounds interesting.....

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me