This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, November 8, 2010

More Brush Work and Propeller Removal

On Saturday I began the projects of painting the companion way landing (i.e. top of engine cover) and the cockpit fold-out table.

The companion way landing has been on the agenda from the beginning.  I held it to last because I needed fast passage through the companion way for the work that I did inside of the cabin.  I plan to lay down at least 5 coats of varnish on that landing, then leave it in peace for at least a week to give the varnish time to cure and harden.  During this time my primary access will be via the front hatch (HO HO HO!), though it is possible to pass through the companionway by climbing along the side of the galley sink.  Part of the preparation involved punching down and filling over 30 nails that I must admit were not very visible but nevertheless had to be done right.

The cockpit table is a new project, given that I still have 11 days up my sleeve before departing for Seattle.  The table is well designed and constructed from a good blond wood out of Tasmania.  However, it is varnished and over the years the lower edge of the table has turned black due to anaerobic bacteria, according to Ib.  I have decided to paint the table white using the 2-part Dupont Imron paint rather than staining and re varnishing it.  I figure that the paint will last much longer than varnish in the harsh conditions of the cockpit.  This required my borrowing of Ib's sander yet again and using it for two hours to remove all of the old varnish.

Following Ib's advice yesterday I knocked out the fiddle (lip) at the end of the table to expose the end grain and soaked it for over 30 minutes in a weak solution of bleach in an attempt to kill the bacteria.  I then rinsed it off an put it on the deck to dry.  Today I will re-mount the fiddles (with pins and glue) then apply the white primer, and tomorrow I should be able to lay down both coats of Imron.  The following day I will reassemble the table and its fittings.

At 9 AM Jose is to dive and remove Pachuca's propeller.  He is charging me a hefty $60 even though I showed him that the propeller is clean, accessible, and was mounted on the new shaft about 2 months ago.   Nevertheless he will have to use pulling equipment and besides, I couldn't be bothered to shop around and try to save $10.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Good luck...working hard and none stop lone sailor!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me