This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cup Holder for the Nav Station

I have finally put a cup holder at the navigation station.  Having a hot cup of coffee or soup while at the nav station in rough conditions has carried a big risk of accidental tipover into the computer keyboard or other navigation equipment.  I've looked at plastic fold-out holders in boat shops but to me they seemed small and flimsy.   

This week I took advantage of Reggie's electric tools and made a cup holder out of spare three-ply.  I couldn't get his electric saw to track properly so I used his jig saw to cut the pieces as well as the slot for the handle.  I put it together using small pins and West System epoxy as glue.  There was no belt sander so I used an angle grinder with a sand paper pad to trim off the rough edges.  I then finished off the sanding by hand and laid 2 coats of varnish. 


OK, it's a bit rough but it should be strong enough to get me back to Australia.  There I'll make a proper one out of jarrah using my table and radial arm saws, router, belt sander, etc.

Total outlay for the cup holder: 5 pesos for the clavitos (tiny nails).

1 comment:

chris said...

Wow! that was a super good idea!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me